« Different Cultural Literacies | Main | Respecting Students Cultural Literacies »

Different cultural literacies

After reading both of the articles, I decided that they were trying to get the same message across. I never thought about how we label some children as slow learners even though they are very bright kids. It mad me sad to hear that the reason some of these children are seen this was is simply because they weren't taught the same way in their homes as the apparent majority of children in this country are. I believe it is extremely important for teachers and schools to recognize this not as a problem, but a way to expand how they teach and view students of different backgrounds. After all, that is what America is, a melting pot of cultures. Why then should we assume that everyone has the same style of learning and the same understanding of what it means to be literate or smart. Maybe the reason that America is not quite as high on the education scale as, say, some Asian countries is because we have not learned to embrace what has made us so great . Those countries have no problem with different cultural literacies because there are simply not very many differences among them. We are the only country in the world that has such a vast array of cultures. We need to develop new ways of teaching and connecting with our students and accomodate the knowledge that they bring in order to help them learn with the majority. Once we stop trying to label different children and make excuses for our lack of ability to accomodate them, we can find new and better ways to help eveyone by using our knowledge of their lives to make connections to the majority style of knowledge. This also starts by learning their cultures as well as appreciating them for valid and accomplished just as our own.

I agree very much with you on this Anna. I think it is much needed for adminstrators in the school systems to stop and think about the needs of all children and find a way to accomdate for all children as well as possible. Children who are behind and failing to excel as well as other students are not always to blame for their situations. There are many factors in which attribute to a child overall wellness. If a child is born into a home full of poverty to parents who were not ready for a child, so therefore cannot and do not raise a child properly to which the child meets standards, that child needs to able to find that help else where. Schools should try to be apart of the support that gets children on the right track. Children who are behind feel bad about the fact that they cannot do as well as others, their feeling only turn into insecurities that only lead them to do worse because the better reason for not meeting standards is not wanting to versus not being able to. So the child begins to try less which just starts a cycle that leads to these children who are behind to do as their parents did and also have children who are behind. If the American society was more understanding and more willing to help than to just come up with statisitc and critize and schools go that extra step children may just be able to pick up and learn and live better. America just might be one of those countries known for exceling academically.

I agree with also Anna. I expecially liked your pint about how america is the worlds "melting point." You brang up a point that i had never thought of before. I always wondered why we werent the smartest country in the world but we were still the most powerful. But its like you said, we are the county with the most diversity in culture and then from that also the most diverse in cultural literacy. We need to begin to understand that so we can somehow abjust our schools to embrace all these differences.

I really liked the point that you brought up about how America is such a melting pot that maybe it needs to cater a little more towards different styles of learning because of different cultures. That is something I never thought about, that maybe other countries have it a little easier because thier is no culture barrier there. I mean it's not fair to punish the kids who are different because it's not even that they come from a bad home, it's just that their parents taught them differently than conventional American homes did. Their parents still cared enough to embrace young minds and inform them of different wonders of the world, as in the Native American case, they just didn't teach them two plus two or things like that. So, good point Anna I agree with you a lot on that. :)