« The Importance of Language | Main | Mixed reaction »

Hunger of Memory: The Education of Richard Rodriguez

The excerpt from the book Hunger of Memory: the Education of Richard Rodriguez was a pretty insightful reading. Throughout my life I have always imagined what it would be like to be an immigrant and live my life speaking a language that was not my first. It reminds me of my friend Niki’s mom who is from Ecuador. For about 25 years now she has lived in America and her kids are half-white Americans, and when I listened to my friend talk to her on the phone in English I couldn’t help but wonder if that was weird for her. Even her own daughter isn’t able to completely communicate with her in Spanish, so she speaks mostly English with them. I suppose it is a situation like the story explained except Niki’s mom didn’t have an American schooling experience to pull her out of Spanish-only life. For her it was probably her husband and his family, and then eventually her children, who as they grew up weren’t as fluent as they were when they were young, so their mom had to learn English sufficiently to communicate with them.
The story was interesting because it shed light on an opinion that isn’t often expressed. The opinion was that English is important for all kids to learn and trying to comfort them with their own language schools would only deter them further. I had never thought before that in order for some immigrant children to succeed, they need to be taken out of that comfort zone and thrown into an English situation so they can become comfortable with the environment that they will be in for the rest of their American lives.