« El Espanol | Main | The importance of English »

Importance of Learning English

In the United States today, there is a large variety of cultures within the country. This diversity is part of the identity of the United States and it would be a shame to lose this by asking everyone to change their culture to the typical “American Way.� On the other hand, there is a certain amount of understanding those who immigrate to the United States need to have in order to function in society. In the reading, the boy felt somewhat like an outsider because his English was not as good as others’. In order for immigrants to function in the United States, it is probably important that they learn English relatively well. I know that my high school, as well as many other high schools had foreign exchange students. For the most part, they struggled academically at first because they did not know English well, but by the end of the year, they were as good if not better than everyone else in school because they had picked up on English very well. They are put in a situation where they are forced to learn English, so they succeed. Those that immigrate to the US are in a different position, if their family doesn’t speak English, they don’t have as much of an incentive to learn English themselves, so they may not pick up on the language as quickly. If they are put in a situation where they are forced to learn English, though, they can still do so without losing their culture.

I agree with the incentive thing. Its to bad we don't have better motivations for those who don't use English in the home. In one of the readings the two girls taught their mother English. My friend Carmen helped her parents learn some English. I wish that everyone saw the importance of speaking a countries native language when you are residing there the same way these people do.

I agree with that in order to learn a new language, the best way to do it would be to put yourself in a situation where you are forced to speak it and interact with it all the time. When i was in spanish class, my teacher would try to put us in situations like that, she would bring in spanish speaking students and aplit us up into small groups and we would just spend the whole class hour talking to the spanish speaking students in spanish.