Food, travel, learnin' - NOLA style

From Wednesday to Sunday I was in New Orleans, Louisiana, for the PCA/ACA conference. While "work" was the primary objective, food trumps just about anything for me especially when traveling.

Continue reading "Food, travel, learnin' - NOLA style" »

This is the sound of silence

Simon and Garfunkel Concert in the Park was the first CD I ever owned.

(I had to use the opening link where the back up band get their props!)

Continue reading "This is the sound of silence" »

Fake News, take 1

Satire is not a form/technique well integrated into American culture. Sure there is SNL and The Simpsons, The Daily Show and the charming Jane Bond, Nancy Clue, and the Hardly Boys novels of Mabel Maney and of course The Onion. Just the same, these are cultural artefacts more to the fringe than the center and often receiving harsh criticism when their satirical essence is misunderstood...or missed all together.

Continue reading "Fake News, take 1" »

Play time

Oh no! Liberty's Kids no longer "lives" on PBS.org and I was really looking forward to making my own newspaper. There is however a long list of other options in a drop down box. Alas, but how to pick which one? Mom!! Help!

Continue reading "Play time" »

Second Verse the same as the first, a whole lot louder and ... ?

Before finishing the abstract for “When Sex, Drugs, and Violence Enter the Classroom,” I was thinking, a little deviously, of the times I’ve sassed automated phone services. Dare I say I have even cussed at them a little. Once I discovered that the usually one just has to fake the program out to get to talk to a real person, well that’s when the deliberate mumbling began. Such behavior I don’t admit proudly…but I did it, and now I understand a little better “what was really going on” - though I insist that to some end I was just mad that it didn’t understand me and I wanted an answer to, “where is my package, UPS?!”

Continue reading "Second Verse the same as the first, a whole lot louder and ... ?" »

Life and Death at the Mall

This week's topic, consumerism and "the Mall," has pushed my thinking in quite a number of different directions all of which merit thoughtful and in depth consideration. Thanks to generative thinking and how I love to link things to other things and to bigger and bigger concerns, there is just no way to tackle them all here and now. Of course, I can't let seem to let them go so l am starting with a bit of an overview of each and see where I end up...

Continue reading "Life and Death at the Mall" »

It's a pin-up game?

“It’s a pin-up game – you can’t argue with tat. And as a pin-up game, it’s an outstanding success. I haven’t played it much yet, and I don’t think it’s very interesting to women, but it’s an honest game and I don’t feel offended by it. It’s silly, it’s like a beach movie, a “men’s magazine.? The domain is explicitly for men, and that’s okay. Nothing’s wrong with it, even if there’s nothing compelling to a female audience, either.? (game girl advice 2003/04/16)

Continue reading "It's a pin-up game?" »

Once a fan, always a fan??

Of what am I a fan?
The Simpsons
Interval workouts
Everything bagels
The Bayport Cookery
Anna Karenina

Continue reading "Once a fan, always a fan??" »

Tooning In, 1, 2, 3

Coming soon....all future posts will appear by the Sunday night deadline. Best on MLK Day! Let justice flow.

**For remainder of post with reading response please click on the "continue...." link**

Continue reading "Tooning In, 1, 2, 3" »