« High Food Proces Threaten Haiti | Main | Marijuana Debate Heating Up »

Wild Fall to Avalanche in Playoffs

The Minnesota Wild ended their season Saturday with a 2-1 loss to the Colorado Avalanche in game six of the opening round of the 2008 NHL playoffs, reported the Star Tribune.

The Wild came into their first round match-up with Colorado with home ice advantage and big dreams for the post season. But after gaining a 2-1 lead in the best of seven series, the Wild dropped three strait to the Avalanche, leading to their second first round exit in the last two years.

"To lose in the first round again is very disappointing," veteran Brian Rolston said. "[Colorado goalie Jose] Theodore definitely played a role in this series. In a series like this, a hot goalie can take you out. I think that's what happened." (Star Tribune)

The Wild could not solve Theodore all series, as the goalie stopped 199 out off 211 shots, according to the Pioneer Press.

Minnesota's top scorer and play maker, Mario Gaborik, was held in check all series long, only scoring one point in six games. Gaborik had been stellar in previous playoff series, scoring 23 points in 21 games. But Without him producing, the Wild didn't have much of a chance.

"If I was producing, I'm sure it would have made a difference," Gaborik said. "It was very tight out there. They did a great job defensively. I tried to find a way every game. Either it was tight or there was Theodore. Things didn't work out the way I wanted it to. I've just got to learn from this." (Star Tribune)