Get paid to take surveys!

Recently, a short paper survey got sent to my apartment. With it was a letter that said if you fill out the survey and send it back, they will send you $5. As many college students would do for the cash, I filled it out and sent it back. It was a brief survey about the age of the people living in the home, tv viewing habits, and radio and newspaper habits.
About a week after I sent in the survey and received my $5 in return, I received a phone call from the company asking me to complete a bit longer phone survey and, in return, they would send me $10. Again, I completed the survey. This one was quite a bit longer. The interviewer asked me how much I listen to the radio, how many times in the past week, what stations, and for how long during different parts of the day. He also asked similar questions about newspapers, television, and internet use. Most of the questions were based on my personal habits and what services or products I read, view, or purchase on a regular basis. Towards the end of the survey I was also asked a few questions about who I lived with, my roommate's habits, and about our background, i.e. if we were enrolled in a University, were working, etc.
The surveyor was very kind and tried to be engaging, but, quite frankly, if I was not getting paid and already committed to the survey I would have hung up. It lasted for almost a half an hour on the phone and I had other things I could have been doing. He thanked me many times for the good data I was providing and for being kind throughout the survey. In my opinion, though, the survey would have gone much quicker if I could have completed it either on paper or electronically and I found no reason for which it was important to utilize the phone to complete the second portion of the survey. The questions were all very straight forward and many were yes or no or multiple choice questions. The reliability may have been increased since there was human contact and multiple contacts from the company, but people can still lie whether they are completing a phone or email survey, though it is harder to not respond when talking to an actual surveyor.
In conclusion, I understand that it is difficult to collect large amounts of valid data, especially when people live busy lives and a company wants people to complete a half hour phone survey, but the payment does help and did not sway my responses, as my responses were simply on media usage.