Social branding and consumer emotion

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/christel-quek/social-branding_b_1971349.html

Branding today has been drastically modified by social media and other interactive technologies, like smart phones. Brands now need to not only be concerned with the content they produce, but what users are saying to other users or potential users as well. Certain types of content stand out more to the human brain than others, and companies need to learn what exactly that is so they are able to get their brand out there and acknowledged by the world in today's terms.
Dr. Paul MacLean has discovered a way to classify the brain into 3 sections: the reptilian brain (decision-making), the limbic brain (emotional center) and the neocortex (rational thinking). This can hopefully lead marketers to understand what content taps into what brain and what part of the brain consumers are using when viewing brand messages. Also, according to this study, 95% of our decision making is not influenced by rational, conscious thinking; making it more difficult to market directly to consumers. Instead, brands must tap into emotions, instincts, and trust to get the messages across.
This article reminded me a lot of the qualitative research we have discussed in class. Qualitative research taps into emotion and gives further insight into what the brands would need in order to really drive a message home to its consumers. Also, when we discussed focus groups we talked about how many decisions are unconscious choices and it is hard to be aware of those in the presence of others, or difficult to explain why exactly you felt a certain way or chose a particular item over another.
Just as people are often spontaneous in actions and choices, the article suggests that the brand should do the same. This makes a lot of sense to me because it would make the brand appear to be more human and not so scripted. To have a spontaneous online 30% off sale for Facebook fans would be a way to not only gain interest and probably fans, but also to be more interesting and well liked by consumers. If a brand does not announce every sale, promotion, or action is does before it happens, and customers know this, it would keep customers engaged and interested in the brand. I know, from personal experience, that brands that I follow on Facebook or Twitter that do this I am more likely to pay attention to so that I don't miss out on what they offer. As a result, I am more aware and favorable towards those particular brands and more engaged in their activities. Although I am aware of this because of the major I have chosen, many people are not and would not be entirely aware of why they are so in love with a particular brand, which plays in, again, to the unconscious decision making.
Also, I think there is a lot to say with being a social brand and being involved with your consumer base. Consumers are more likely a trust a brand that listens to their feedback and changes based upon that, than one that tweets out 50 messages a day, but never responds to negative or constructive feedback.