Comments on two of the MDG Presentations

Eradicate Extreme Poverty and Hunger
This group had a very nice introduction. The picture of the emaciated child was very dramatic and engaged my interest. The project in itself was very straight to the point. They had facts that allowed the audience to understand the topic and the severity of the situation. In their realm of response, they gave several example of organizations that are helping the situation. I really enjoyed the section where they gave several inventions that made life easier in the region, such as the life-straw, that filters dirty water, the money-maker block press kit, and the water tub. They showed that progress has been made. Overall the presentation was very nice. It had a nice flow, in terms of how, when and in what order they presented information.

Combat AIDS/HIV, malaria
This project was very visually pleasing. They had a lot of pictures that were relevant to the topic. One thing I liked was the little but effective use of words. It allowed the audience to stay engaged. However, some of the clip art was a little too elementary. The realm of response tied into architecture very nicely, with the design competition. It was unique compared to the others. The ending was very effective by stating how many actual deaths that had occurred during the presentation. Overall the presentation was probably the most engaging of the four on that day.

Term Project Cover Pages

Download file

Download file

Download file

Source of my Inspiration (maybe??)

A couple of pics that might be an example of the style I could use for the term project. Some of them though are just fun because I thought they were cool.

The Contemporary Look
View image

View image

The straight to the point approach
View image

Playing off emotions approach

View image

View image

These are just cool pictures I found while surfing the net

A cool NIke ad:
View image

self shot of an astronaut:
View image

After an ice storm
View image

snow print of an eagle catching a rabbit
View image

a weird wedding cake (i feel bad for the bride)
View image

Life in the City

As a kid, I grew up in Suburbia, USA.

View image

The environment in which I grew up in, greatly affected who I was. In high school, I enjoyed hanging out with friends at my pool or at the mall. Just taking it easy, because there was not much to do. Everything was just kind off slow, no worries. As much as I enjoyed being with my friends, it was kind of boring after awhile. One of the main reason's I chose the U of M is because of the downtown/urban setting.

View image

There is so much to do in Minneapolis, I was amazed. There's clubs, bars, theaters, stores, etc. to go to. The people act different too. People are always on the go, on to the next thing. It was so much different than home. In fact, when I went home, my friends noticed a difference. They thought I was always on the go. Its sort of true. The suburbs are just boring now, and I'll probably live in the city now.

View image

View image

Free From Constraints

If I was free from the constraints of school, there would be a couple of things I would like to do. The first of which is travel. There are a number of place I would like to visit.
1: Alaska
There are a couple of things I would like to do here: fishing, hiking, kayaking, white water rafting, to name a few. I think the natural beauty of Alaska is astounding.

View image

View image

2: Italy
I am currently studying Italian with hopes that I can study abroad. During the course, I have learned a lot about the culture and customs, and I really like the architecture there. There are many places I would like to go: Rome, Venice Florence, and The Cinque Terra, a beautiful stretch of land that consists of five cities.

Venice
View image

Rome
View image

Terra Cinque
View image

View image

View image

View image

3: New Zealand
View image

View image

View image

Besides traveling, I would also like to devote my time to become more like my idol: Jason Bourne. I would study like 8 languages, learn karate and boxing, and learn how to survive on my own.

View image

View image

Influences for Research Project

The foundation of every state is the education of its youth.
-Diogenes Laertius

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
-Chinese Proverb

View image

The goal I chose for the research project was achieve universal primary education. I was once told that the greatest investment you could make was in education. In some places, children do not have the privilege to obtain an education. This goal really attracted me because I realize how sometimes I take advantage of the great opportunity I have here at the university. Everyone should have the privilege of an education.

Social Design Issue within the Twin Cities

Like most students at the University of Minnesota, I do not have the privilege of having a car at school. This puts my at the mercy of MetroTransit to get around the twin cities. One thing I have noticed as winter arrived is the state of some of the bus stops around the cities. They are supposed to provide some shelter from the weather outside. Yet some of them are just as cold and windy on the inside as it is on the outside of them because of broken glass and the lack of heaters. And you might as well stand outside when it rains; it doesn't matter because you are still going to get wet inside the bus stop because there are holes in the top of them. Fixing this problem isn't a tall task. Installing heaters and fixing the roofs shouldn't be that hard. It is time for the cities to stop leaving people in the cold.

Flows through the City

When thinking of flows through the city, one idea that comes to mind is the movement of people. Flows of humans have been happening throughout the course of human history. People have always been moving to gradually form places such as cities. Because of this places will keep changing. The movement of people leads to flows of other things as well: money, products, and information. Money transfers from people to people and consumers to producers when people purchase products. Products themselves are a result of a flow. Products such as food move to region to region to fulfill needs of people. Finally, information flows throughout cities and people by multiple means. Whether through the internet, word of mouth, or newspaper, information and news travel throughout cities as well. Their is an interconnectedness among all flows that ultimately lead back to the movement of people.