Blog 7: "Show me yo Bootyhole" by Saosin vs "I am not my Hair" by India Arie

"show me yo bootyhole" by Saosin and "I am not my hair" by India Arie are songs that both touch on the theme of beauty. "Show me yo bootyhole" addresses beauty in a very negative sense. The song reduces women to a single part, the booty. Saosin is normally a band that mainly focuses on rock/alternative genre. They are not the greatest band but their other songs are by no means bad. Other songs they have produced typically have some sort of emo feel to them. This single song of theirs is pretty reprehensible and expresses the desire for "otherness" that constantly keeps getting brought up in our discussions. They do not focus on the typical "white", barbie like model that many songs seems to use but they use the stereotypical "black beauty model". They talk about women using language like "Shakin' yer booty like it ain't no thing Rub it all up on my dingaling". I have very mixed feelings about this song because I do like the song but the message it sends make me very angry.

On the other hand "I am not my hair" by India Arie talks about more of an intrinsic beauty. India Arie has always produced very empowering songs not just for women but for everyone. She has always been known to write very honest lyrics and this song is no different. In this song she talks about how she is not defined by her hair or how she looks. She talks about how she looks or how she presents herself doesn't change the kind of friend she is or person she is. India always have very positive messages in her songs and her lyrics are very genuine and well thought out. She is probably one of my all time favorite songwriters and she has a very soulful voice.

Lyrics | India Arie lyrics - I Am Not My Hair lyrics

Lyrics | Saosin lyrics - Show Me Yo Booty Hole lyrics

Barbie to be banned in West Virgina

I found this news story about West Virgina lawmaker proposing a ban of sales on certain barbies in the state. Check it out!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,504456,00.html

This American Life Link

Hey, here is the radio show that I was talking about the other day. Just click here and it will take you to the page where you can stream the episode.

There are four acts and the one I was talking about with Dan Savage and the Suite Life is the last act (you should listen to the whole show though, it's great)

Enjoy.

Hays Code

Good Blogging to you all!

I have posted the Hays Code here for you. Read and think about how these codes helped form what we think of as mainstream popular culture, especially how we think of the family, women's roles, and interracial relationships. Some questions on the midterm will deal with this code so you may want to print it.

The Motion Picture Production Code of 1930 (Hays Code)

If motion pictures present stories that will affect lives for the better, they can become the most powerful force for the improvement of mankind

A Code to Govern the Making of Talking, Synchronized and Silent Motion Pictures. Formulated and formally adopted by The Association of Motion Picture Producers, Inc. and The Motion Picture Producers and Distributors of America, Inc. in March 1930.
Motion picture producers recognize the high trust and confidence which have been placed in them by the people of the world and which have made motion pictures a universal form of entertainment.

They recognize their responsibility to the public because of this trust and because entertainment and art are important influences in the life of a nation.

Hence, though regarding motion pictures primarily as entertainment without any explicit purpose of teaching or propaganda, they know that the motion picture within its own field of entertainment may be directly responsible for spiritual or moral progress, for higher types of social life, and for much correct thinking.

During the rapid transition from silent to talking pictures they have realized the necessity and the opportunity of subscribing to a Code to govern the production of talking pictures and of re-acknowledging this responsibility.

On their part, they ask from the public and from public leaders a sympathetic understanding of their purposes and problems and a spirit of cooperation that will allow them the freedom and opportunity necessary to bring the motion picture to a still higher level of wholesome entertainment for all the people.

General Principles

1. No picture shall be produced that will lower the moral standards of those who see it. Hence the sympathy of the audience should never be thrown to the side of crime, wrongdoing, evil or sin.

2. Correct standards of life, subject only to the requirements of drama and entertainment, shall be presented.

3. Law, natural or human, shall not be ridiculed, nor shall sympathy be created for its violation.

Particular Applications

I. Crimes Against the Law
These shall never be presented in such a way as to throw sympathy with the crime as against law and justice or to inspire others with a desire for imitation.

1. Murder

a. The technique of murder must be presented in a way that will not inspire imitation.

b. Brutal killings are not to be presented in detail.

c. Revenge in modern times shall not be justified.

2. Methods of Crime should not be explicitly presented.

a. Theft, robbery, safe-cracking, and dynamiting of trains, mines, buildings, etc., should not be detailed in method.

b. Arson must subject to the same safeguards.

c. The use of firearms should be restricted to the essentials.

d. Methods of smuggling should not be presented.

3. Illegal drug traffic must never be presented.

4. The use of liquor in American life, when not required by the plot or for proper characterization, will not be shown.

II. Sex
The sanctity of the institution of marriage and the home shall be upheld. Pictures shall not infer that low forms of sex relationship are the accepted or common thing.

1. Adultery, sometimes necessary plot material, must not be explicitly treated, or justified, or presented attractively.

2. Scenes of Passion

a. They should not be introduced when not essential to the plot.

b. Excessive and lustful kissing, lustful embraces, suggestive postures and gestures, are not to be shown.

c. In general passion should so be treated that these scenes do not stimulate the lower and baser element.

3. Seduction or Rape

a. They should never be more than suggested, and only when essential for the plot, and even then never shown by explicit method.

b. They are never the proper subject for comedy.

4. Sex perversion or any inference to it is forbidden.

5. White slavery shall not be treated.

6. Miscegenation (sex relationships between the white and black races) is forbidden.

7. Sex hygiene and venereal diseases are not subjects for motion pictures.

8. Scenes of actual child birth, in fact or in silhouette, are never to be presented.

9. Children's sex organs are never to be exposed.

Continue reading "Hays Code" »