Recently in Coffee Category

Mapps Coffee & Tea

Mapps Coffee & Tea: 1810 Riverside Ave. Named Best Coffeehouse by Citypages in 2007.

All of you in Wilson who are looking for a caffeine fix since Dunn Bros. is closed for the summer should try Mapps Coffee & Tea. It is in the same building as KFAI, so it is probably one of your closest good coffee choices. The food is nothing to write home about (very simple: sandwiches and muffins) but the star is their coffee and tea. For instance, they make their own chai, from scratch. It is spicy and sweet, made with real spices and milk and tea...not a concentrate! Also, they have some specialty lattes: my favorite is the Cinnamon latte. They use cinnamon flavored chips in the drink, so it is a bit like having dessert, but it is really tasty. The staff there is warm and friendly, and usually it is the one of the owners behind the counter. The owners are Yildiz and Erdoan Akguc, according to City Pages (see URL below). They also have free Wi-fi and a wonderfully open, sunlit space that is really nice to just get away to for a few minutes while you pick up your coffee. They don't appear to have their own website, but here is a review from Citypages about them with their address and phone number:
http://www.citypages.com/bestof/2007/award/best-coffeehouse-70048/

Enjoy! Joy Reitmeier

I regularly tease the baristas and the manager at the Starbucks (at Radisson Metrodome) with my perverse ideas for new items to market. When Peter Mendalson made his colorful retort to Starbuck's CEO Howard Schultz a few months ago,...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/feb/18/peter-mandelson-starbucks
... I suggested they put it on a paper cup, as the thought for the day. They loved my suggestion and laughed heartily. Would they pass it along? (Response: "YOU HAVE GOT to be kidding!") More recently, I suggested that they ought to start a new drink for me: Chili Chai Mocha. (Don't think "Chili Cheeze hot dog" at the same time you consider this or you could gross yourself out.) Anyway, I know the shot of white chocolate with the soy chai works well -- I just haven't had the nerve to walk in with a "picolo" sized shaker of McCormick's chili powder and say "Here! Do it!."

But I'll get around to one of these days.

~George

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Coffee category.

Breaktime is the previous category.

East Bank is the next category.