Recently in Side dishes: Recipes and More Category

Recipes for Swedish Meatballs / gravy

SWEDISH GRANDMA!
In this Swedish grandmother's recipe, the gravy ingredients are mixed with 3 lbs. of ground beef or beef/pork mixture at the beginning of the process:

2-3 tsp salt
1/2 - 3/4 tsp ground pepper
1 1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 1/2 Tablespoons dry onion flakes
2/3 cup fine cracker crumbs
2 eggs, beaten

Mix all ingredients together and form into 1 1/2" diameter meatballs. Brown in a greased, hot frying pan, turning frequently. Add hot water to loosen the pan drippings and pour over meat balls in a casserole dish. Bake, covered, 30-40 min. at 325 F. Remove liquid from the casserole, thicken it into gravy, and pour over meatballs.
--John G-L

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE GRAVY!
I make a huge batch, so I don't have measurements for a regular-sized batch. I suggest a white gravy. Start it like a white sauce with a paste of melted butter and flour. Add beef broth, but heat it first to help avoid lumps. When sauce begins to thicken, add whole milk and a little cream, pinch of nutmeg and - the secret - just a scant 1/2 teaspoon of coffee. (That's a reduced guestimate for a small batch)

Enjoy!
--Linnea A.

YAH SURE, YOU BETCHA!
I fully agree with Linnea's suggestions. The nutmeg and coffee are critical ingredients.
-- Connie H.

Here's a meatballs recipe with coffee that I plan to test

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Side dishes: Recipes and More category.

Organic Food is the previous category.

Spicy is the next category.