« Entry 1: Researching a Typeface | Main | Entry 3: Magazine Layout »

Journal Entry 2

Found Type

After becoming interested in design, I started paying closer attention to the details of retail goods, advertising, etc; things you see every day and take for granted. Type choices are definitely one of those understated design elements. But bad design elements can ruin the design.

Worldchanging book.

Stefan Sagmeister is a designer that does great work and I have a lot of respect for, although in a recent book called "Worldchanging: A User's Guide for the 21st Century" I was distracted by the type; it didn't seem to flow well with the design. The actual layout and design was well done, but the body copy (for the intro paragraphs), was in a bold face type the looks like a more modern courier. I wonder of this was a choice made for the more "old school" look. Nonetheless, I'm sure it was a deliberate choice, after all, it's Sagmeister.

But the jacket design was very well done. And the title font and cover fonts work beautifully with the design. I can see how this would work well with the type choices for the interior, since the title font is almost like a sans courier/typewriter font.