Recently in Analysis Category

Analysis: Dodgers, Hyun-jin Ryu agree to contract

I chose to analyze the article "Dodgers, Hyun-jin Ryu agree to contract," written by Mark Saxon.

The reporter used the numbers of Ryu's contract and broke them down by year. The article deals with his posting fee, which is the money the team spent to be able to negotiate a contract, and then it talks about his current contract and clauses in it.

It doesn't seem like the reporter requires a lot of computer skills to do this reporting. I'm not sure that that would have been appropriate for this article anyways. I think that the way the
reporter uses the data in this article is sufficient.

Similarly, it doesn't seem like the writer used any interactive graphics to engage the reader. I think that they should have used a graphic which documents how much money the Dodgers have tied up to starting pitchers right now because that would show readers what this deal really means.

Analysis: David Petraeus resigns as CIA director

This article is from Nov. 9 when David Petraeus resigned as the CIA director.

I thought that the reporters did a good job moving past just what they got from Petraeus. The article was more well-rounded because they did a lot of additional reporting.

For example, the reporters were not going to have access to Paula Broadwell. It seems that they did extensive research into her past to make up for that. They went back and found old interviews so people could get a sense of her. By doing this additional research, they gave readers a personality behind a name.

I think they also did a good job explaining the magnitude of the situation. They provided a lot of background information into who Petraeus is and why he is important. Without this information, people would not understand why his resignation is so impactful.

I chose to analyze "An outgunned Hamas tries to tap Islamists' growing clout," which was written by David D. Kirkpatrick and Mayy El Sheikh and appeared on the New York Times website.

I don't think that the story is stereotypical; I think it is more grounded in fact. It said that Hamas turned to Egypt's new government because they are "ideological allies." I think some may perceive that to be stereotypical, but I think it moves beyond that because there is truth to the statement. It's not just saying that because they practice the same religion, they feel the same way.

The journalists used numerous sources, although not all of them were talking about the cultural aspect of Hamas. They used a quote from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Reda Fahmy, member of Egypt's Parliament, Moussa Abu Marzouk, a senior Hamas official, Dan Meridor, the Israeli intelligence minister, United States President Barack Obama and Egypt President Mohamed Morsi.

Marzouk was probably the best source in terms of the cultural aspect, because he talked about the position of Islamists in the region. He said that that Islamists in the region would side with Hamas. That quote gives readers a better sense of the culture because it tells readers where their political ideologies lie.

I chose Tom Cohen's article "Obama demands fast action on fiscal cliff, including tax hike on wealthy," which I found on CNN's website.

This content of this article heavily relies on numbers; it is an article about tax cuts, which requires numbers. The reporter needs numbers to let readers know which citizens will be taxed; that is something he couldn't accomplish without using numbers.

The numbers aren't overwhelming; they are used when they need to be used, but they aren't overused. I think he probably could have used numbers more. I think he should have used percentages to more effectively write the article. What percent of people will be taxed more? What percent of people make over $250,000?

It doesn't appear that he crunched any numbers or did any math. I think the article would have been better if he did. For example, he would have had to crunch numbers to figure out certain percentages. If he had examined what percent of people would be taxed differently because of this, the article would have been stronger.

The sources of some of his numbers are not clear, however the $250,000 came from President Barack Obama's speech early Friday.

Former United States senator George McGovern died late October. The New York Times obituary uses a statement from McGovern's family, a statement from President Barack Obama, McGovern's own words and Theodore H. White, an author.

It has a standard obituary lead. It lists his accomplishments, told when he died and listed his age in the second sentence.

The article is a very in-depth look at McGovern's life and career. It celebrates his many life accomplishments. It is valuable to readers because it is a fitting tribute to a man who had a major impact on the country, at one point, and a major impact on South Dakota at many points.

The obituary differs from a resume in many ways. An obituary has sources, which a resume doesn't have. It provides a more full picture of the individual by talking to people about the person. It is more than just a list of achievements because it describes the life of the person in detail.

Analysis: Multimedia Videos

I decided to compare ESPN's multimedia content to Yahoo! Sports's multimedia content. ESPN has a lot of videos on its website that appeared on TV. There are clips that feature commentary's by their on-air personalities, clips that feature highlights and many other videos.

Yahoo! Sports seems to have less videos, but they seem to have similar content. This makes sense because Yahoo! Sports isn't in the industry of producing 24-hours of video content a day.

Many of Yahoo! Sports videos aren't associated with specific articles whereas a lot of videos on ESPN's website can be found on the same page as an article. I find the writing in videos to be more straightforward and to the point. It doesn't need to have the same amount of detail as an article because viewers can see images.

Although not the case on either of these two websites, a lot of websites have the same text in the article as they do in the video. I think that the multimedia aspect should be separate from the article; it should be used to either a) complement the article or b) present the information. I don't need the same different information in two different formats. Often times I'll read an article and then go to click on the link and be disappointed when the video is the exact same as the text.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Analysis category.

International News is the next category.