Writing 2- Pavlov's Classical Conditioning

In">

In Lecture, we learned about Pavlov's Classical Conditioning. There are four parts to this; unconditioned stimulus, unconditioned response, conditioned stimulus, and conditioned response. The unconditioned stimulus can be something like food for example. The unconditioned response is how a person responds to the unconditioned stimulus. In class, we learned an example of this may be a dog salivating around food. The conditioned stimulus is something that is present every time the dog eats, like a sound made right before his food is served. The condition response is his response to the sound made; he salivates. Since he always hears the sound before he eats, he knows food is coming by the sound. The thought of the food causes him to salivate.
I went to camp one year, and before every meal a bell would ring. The bell always made me hungry, because I knew food was coming. Eventually, the bell started being used for other things, like when free time began or when we had a meeting. At first, I would always feel hungry and expect to eat. After a while, I grew accustomed to the bell being used for different things and no longer felt hunger after every ring.
We become familiar with certain sounds at certain points in are day. We begin to associate them with things like food or people. Classical conditioning is all about how we respond to our environment. It is natural to respond to food by salivating. The reason the dog salivated when he heard the metronome was because he associated it with the food. Just like he grew accustomed to the sound coming before a meal, when the meal stopped coming after the sound he eventually became accustomed to that too. So, if we associate something with something else, but they no longer are together, we can just as easily unassociated them.

http://psychology.about.com/od/behavioralpsychology/a/classcond.htm

Nurture vs. Nature (Isabelle)

Nurture vs. Nature
The Nurture vs. Nature debate is widely popular in psychology. The big question is what makes up who we are? It could be genetics, but it could also be the environment we are raised in. Another option is it could be part of both. For example, natural hair color, height and foot size all come from genetics. They are passed down form your parents. Things you develop from your environment are dyed hair of what kind of athlete you are. One thing that proves not only nature exists is the case of Isabelle. Isabelle was isolated in an attic with her deaf and mute mother the first six years of her life by her grandfather. She could not speak but could communicate to her mother with gestures. She had a disease known as rickets which is the result of a bad diet and a lack of sunshine. When she was discovered at the age of six, she was shy of men. It is said that she acted like a wild animal around them; she would hide from them because she was fearful. Within two years, Isabelle was at the appropriate intelligence level for her age. When first discovered, she only scored a little over zero on an IQ test. Isabelle had very little nurture when she was in the attic. It made her act as an animal and was also very unhealthy. After just two years of nurture, she was right on track. A big part of this was teaching her language. Language is key in communicating amongst humans. This story goes to show that our environment plays a role in who we are. Nurture vs. Nature relates to me because I can see how both affect me. Nature determined my phsical characteristics such as my black hair and hazel eyes. Nurture determined my studious side. I was raised to work hard in school. I also took courses that would challenge me. My environment made me studious.