Apple Legend Steve Jobs Dies

By Alison Henderson

Steve Jobs, co-founder and visionary of Apple Inc., died Wednesday at age 56, after an eight-year battle with pancreatic cancer.

Jobs passed weeks after resigning from his position at Apple Inc. in late August because of health concerns.

"I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple's CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come," he said in a letter announcing his resignation, according to a Reuters report.

News of Jobs' death spurred immediate reactions on social media websites like Facebook and Twitter.

Rachael Horowitz, Twitter spokesperson reported that after Jobs' death was announced, Twitter was receiving 6049 tweets per second, according to a Computer World article.

Introducing the iPod, iPhone, and iTunes among other widely used technologies Jobs changed the way computers are used. His unconventional style was reflected in his work. Even the name Apple is an example of his ingenuity.

"In an era when engineers and hobbyists tended to describe their machines with model numbers, he chose the name of a fruit, supposedly because of his dietary habits at the time," according to the New York Times.