Local Mosque Hosts Day of Dignity Block Party

By Alison Henderson
On Saturday hundreds of people in Minneapolis joined Day of Dignity, a nation-wide effort to help people in need.

To celebrate "Day of Dignity," Masjid Ad-Nur, a mosque in Minneapolis, sponsored a block party to bring members of the Muslim community together.

As one of 15 events across the country, the Minneapolis block party was set up to provide supplies and services to members of the community.

It was also an opportunity to better understand the Islamic tradition of sadaqah, meaning "volunteer charity."

"It really is an expression of our faith tradition, which I think we share in common with other faith traditions -- to really be of service to humanity, to mankind and the fundamental belief that everyone should be able to live a dignified life," Makram El-Amin told KARE.

Hip hop artists like Brother Ali and Freeway also took part in the event, hoping to attract a more diverse crowd.

"It would be really special for me to have my fans actually able to see where I'm really from. They'll see that it's not like rap videos," Ali told the Minnesota Daily.