My Weekend Built Environment

The phenomena of precipitation shaped my weekend activities. I was able to return home to Southwest Wisconsin to visit my parents, reunite with H., and have some nature experiences to inspire me to continue working and complete this semester in good form.

On Sunday afternoon, we experienced an unseasonal thaw, followed by an inch or more of rain. The septic drain of my parent's basement was frozen, so icy water began seeping across the floor. Now, a basement is about as built an environment as can be conceived, and as it absorbed the life of my entire family for about eight hours, its impact cannot be denied. The water entered in the back corner of the basement, but instead of running straight to the drain in the middle of the space, it instead dribbled across the floor to the carpeted, panelled section of the basement. Those who laid the concrete did not slope the floor to the drain. In fact, every corner of the basement would be wet before the drain could function. We mopped, sponged and swept the water into the drain and dried the floor and were able to move all the boxes and books into drier places, but icy cold water was still visibly running in, and two people with sponges had to work constantly to keep up with the inflow. As this was promising to continue all night, and none of us were enthused about spending the night on the basement floor, we looked for another solution.

I got out a roll of duct tape, and oulined a channel from the source to the drain. The tape was waterproof, and by folding up an edge, we were able to control the flow. By 10:00 PM, water was actually trickling into the drain at the same rate as it was leaking under the wall. Success! By morning, the temperature had dropped enough that everything refroze.

The next day, I was determined to build a snow fort. In St. P., there was never enough snow to realize this ambition, but the piles all over Southwest Wisconsin promised differently. I chose the biggest heap in the backyard and, in an amazingly short time, H. and I had hollowed it out enough that we could both almost stand inside it. The light shining through the thinner patches on the two of us seated comfortably within fulfilled my desires for a snow cave and companionship.

My experiences caused me to consider how my ideas of satisfaction result from my interaction with the built environment. Usually, the built environment is a problem, and I am able to implement a solution -- and what can be more satisfying? Interaction with the natural environment of course. My interventions in the basement were a short-term solution, and since the paint on the floor peels up with the tape, it actually causes another problem for the future. But my mound of snow in the backyard could be entirely my own creation. My net impact was zero, but the results were big.

All images by Caleb Hendrickson

Precipitation: Phenomena & Clockwork
Snow Cave: Thing

Alternative Education of Choice

If I were not exiled in St. P. in order to attend the only school which can accredit my choice of career, I would be investigating the concept of impacting the environment in a rather unconventional, modest, introspective way.

I have always been inspired by Thoreau's experiments by Walden Pond. I have often mourned the fact that such pristine, untouched nature is unavailable to me, until I considered another perspective. Thoreau took advantage of the most available location to live in a way which had arisen from his past experiences. Utilizing the same principle, I realized that I didn't require a land area miles from the last sign of civilzation when such a thing is impossible for my immediate circumstances. Instead, I have access to places immediate to my family's home, our neighbor's agricultural land and my employers' residences. This proximity to a community is a part of the environment I wish to impact. Separating myself allows me to impact the interior environment of my psyche, which is the source of all external influences. I believe in moderating change from an individual foundation up, with the most important change subject being myself.

This location represents these ideas, and I see myself as independent and approaching self-sustainablility in this place. It is separate, but not isolationist. I can perform my own experiments, raise my own garden, read books in a hammock, cook over an open fire, and have a pet duck.

I can retreat here to be alone, to study, to be inspired and to breathe. I can leave here to earn money, access books from the library, take long showers at my parent's home, meet friends and professors and generally interact with the community most important to me.

This is how I wish to develop myself and explore the ideas of Architecture, and this is how my environment would be impacted by these actions

All images by Caleb Hendrickson

Living in the Woods: Phenomena
Ducks: Things

Millennium Development Goal

My chosen Millennium Goal is addressing the need for universal primary education. The process of young children beginning to learn fundamental skills has fascinated me for years. When I think of education, I think of reading and mathematics, as the most basic of necessary curriculum. Reading (which blends into writing) is a tool required to expand minds abstractly and for the introduction of multiple points of view. Mathematics is the foundation of logical, ordered thinking, once again abstract and conceptual in nature which develops the imagination.

“Through literacy you can begin to see the universe. Through music you can reach anybody. Between the two there is you, unstoppable.?
-- Grace Slick

I have had a life-long passion for children's literature. This genre was/is the single most influential component of my life. When I think of the hundreds of thousands of books, representing the values and ideals of hundreds of thousands of thoughtful individuals, I overflow with the desire to share these points of view with everyone. Through exposure to concepts beyond concrete experience, a mind can be formed and motivated to begin shaping personal values and informed choices to fulfill a lifetime. To me, education is first and foremost the ability to explore the world more broadly. Reading (and mathematics) put this opportunity in the hands of those who need it. With these skills, a child can take responsibility for their individual future without relying on their environment to shape their choices.

However, merely being capable of comprehending symbols on paper does not inherently give a child this chance. The primary focus should be encouraging a child to begin a unique path through learning, not preaching these skills as an end in themselves. This is a vital distinction I doubt the United Nations has comprehended. The greatest benefit is raising children who benefit and explore through reading, not merely making literacy a common skill.

Out of my personal experiences, I find that these songs best represent my attitude and values concerning primary education. They are fun, creative, unconventional, and related to my favorite influential stories.

Anything Can Happen – Mary Poppins (Demo Recording by George Stiles & Anthony Drewe)
Download file

Where Do They Make Balloons – They Might Be Giants (No!)
Download file

Walking My Gargoyle – The Gothic Archies (The Tragic Treasury)
Download file

All image and music rights reserved to publisher/illustrator/author/musician/record label/etc.

Books: Thing
Literacy: Phenomena

Change, Energy & Flow

These images show the most vivid awarenesses of change, energy and flow in my life in the past week. It was an awesome experience to watch citizens line along the sidewalks in freezing weather on Caucus night. So many people waiting to make little marks on a scrap of paper was an embodiment of transformational ideas. Mika's concert at 1st Ave was a pit of excitement, containing the energies of a artist and his surging, screaming, steaming fans. Flow is a subtler concept, harder to capture. I recognized it in the evolving graffiti on the back of a bench at a bus stop. The combination of the independent elements of weathering paint, and individuals with permanent markers is fascinating.

All images by Caleb Hendrickson

Ballots & Graffiti: Thing
Live Music: Phenomena