Democracy in the hands of Technology

Now, I personally have never been a big fan of conspiracy theories. I am one those fools who believe there is a lot more good in the world than bad. However, it doesn't mean I'm naïve. For the longest time whenever I've heard about the possibilities of American elections being rigged, I usually turn a deaf ear to it. However, as silly as it sounds, after watching the in class documentary "Hacking Democracy," I have become highly skeptical of the democratic system in America. I believe technology can be used to enhance society in many different ways. But it is very important to understand it can never completely replace human beings. The American political system is being used as a model for many countries in the world. So it is very important that we setout good examples by exercising an honest and transparent politics.

Continue reading "Democracy in the hands of Technology" »

Living with the Machines

The fascination with the future, the curiosity of the unknown and a world ran by machines has been some of the main science fiction elements that are found in different artistic works of the past. In 1980 the Minnesota writer Bruce Bethke coined the term "Cyberpunk." Ever since then many literary works with a theme of the future, science fiction and technology have been characterized as "Cyberpunk." In most of these works the future is presented as a times of chaos where the machines take over. The prediction of human beings becoming totally dependent on technology has become somewhat true. However, It is also important to point out the fear of a chaotic future has stayed more of a fiction than a reality.

Continue reading "Living with the Machines " »

Globalization or Colonization?

I might not necessarily be he best person to talk about globalization and the world economy. However, with the very little knowledge and understanding I have (at least with what I think Is a knowledge) It seems to me globalization is a system purposely setup to make sure the rich keep getting richer and the poor continues to get walked on. Now I'm not saying there is absolutely nothing positive about globalization. It's true there are a lot of positive things that can come out of it especially when looking at the information technology part of it. People all over the world are connected and are aware of one another a lot more today than they were a few years ago. This is the big plus side of creating a global network that people from all over the world can access and contribute to.

Continue reading " Globalization or Colonization? " »

America (is not) Online

A few years ago, what seemed to be a hangout spot for geeks and tech savvy folks, has quickly turned into a completely essential tool for our daily lives. We are of course talking about the Internet and other new media elements that are totally revolutionalizing the way and which we live, interact, learn and do business. However, this promising technology is not equally spread across all parts of society. In what people describe as "Digital Divide", many people are left behind from using the many advance technologies that exist today. Even though things like the Internet come at the click of a button for most of us, there are a large number of people in this country and around the world that don't have access to it.

Continue reading "America (is not) Online" »

The Evil Bloggers

After reading a great portion of Andrew Keen's book "the cult of the amateur", I felt compelled to write a blog about it. Besides his constant bitching (for the lack of a better word) about how the Internet is corrupting a society that is rather in great order, he also makes some lame points for someone who worships the intellectuals. It's not his belief of professionals and intellectuals that got to me the most. Rather, it's his notion that if you have an Ivy League degree under your belt or a Phd, then you become the ultimate source of knowledge. Now I'm not trying to take away anything form people who spent years of their lives educating themselves in certain fields so that they can be well informed. However, what I have a problem with is the notions those people are the only ones who should be allowed to voice their opinions.

Continue reading "The Evil Bloggers" »

The Facebook Generation

The things we used to associate with people who participated in the early forms of social networking is long gone now. Today, the majority of young people belong to one of the many social networking sites. I myself belong to three social networking sites (four if YouTube is considered one) One of the first social networking sites I joined was HI5. I wonder how many people actually actively participate on that website today compared to public favorites Facebook and Myspace. One of the main reasons I joined HI5 was because it allowed me to stay in touch with friends who were living half way across the globe. Many people join these social networks for different reasons. However, once immersed in, it's very hard to get out because it becomes a very important part our daily lives. We rely on it to communicate with our peers, families and coworkers.

Continue reading "The Facebook Generation" »