Dissertations & Research in an Era of Change

Every year as new grad students come back for further coursework they comment on how much research and information have changed in recent years.

These documents are fascinating reads (though not intended as light reading) as they show the development of a researcher and his/her research through the process from idea evaluation through contemplation of impact and potential next steps. They also include wonderful, comprehensive literature reviews of value to anyone taking on a research project.

Just as everything else is going digital, so are dissertations. In the past one could order interlibrary loans of print or microform editions of published/accepted dissertations from the granting institution. Virginia Tech's Ed Fox (a good friend from my years at CD-ROM Professional where he served on the editorial board for me) has led a major international effort to bring dissertations into Open Access, making them available - in some cases even with datasets and other files attached - freely over the web. The Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations database currently gives access to over 1.5 million dissertations (most in pdf format) from across the globe.

So, how does this change access? This project, for me, began with a query from a faculty member. Even I was surprised at how much access to these documents has changed. Want to know more? Check out this article I wrote :

"Dissertations and Research in an Era of Change," SEARCHER 18(2): 22-35, March 2010. Final Paper.pdf

The University of Minnesota Libraries offer special, free workshops on doing research using dissertations and other tools to help users answer the question: "How Do I Know That I've Found Everything?" If you're on campus, you may want to sign up for this, or other workshops, to help you refine your research methods and improve your results!

Thanks for posting this! I needed the article for a paper.

The article isn't all there. Can you post another copy? I can't read this one. Thanks.

You enter reason for point a very good webmaster. It filling swiftness is unbelievable. Them form of thinks that you're doing just about any exclusive technique. Also, This belongings will be masterwork. you have done an admirable job during this matter!

Hi there, You have done an incredible job. I will definitely digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I am sure they'll be benefited from this site.

Hi there- Is this exhibit coming anywhere near Ottawa, Canada? We have a couple of museums that might be good venues... Natural History Museum and Museum of Science and Technology. I would guess they plan their special exhibits more than 2 years in advance, though...

This is certainly great, most certainly check it out, useful website, will bookmark, thanks.

Frd have actually unveiled their specific effective version to a Professional player Ceed variety with many incredibly a good idea speedy Tv shows showing. A brilliant and as a consequence intuitive hogan rebel methods to have an impact on ones own objectives attached to releasing budget friendly jeu car straightening toward a Western listeners.

My husband and i felt now lucky that Raymond could round up his research out of the ideas he came across using your web site. It's not at all simplistic just to choose to be giving freely strategies people today may have been making money from. And we also figure out we've got you to be grateful to for that. All of the explanations you made, the easy web site menu, the relationships you help instill - it's most sensational, and it's really letting our son in addition to us believe that that situation is pleasurable, and that's extremely important. Thanks for everything!

Valuable information. Fortunate me I discovered your website by chance, and I'm shocked why this twist of fate did not took place earlier! I bookmarked it.

I think other site proprietors should take this website as an model, very clean and great user genial style and design, let alone the content. You're an expert in this topic!

This is really interesting, You're a very skilled blogger. I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your great post. Also, I've shared your site in my social networks!

I'm so happy to read this. This is the kind of manual that needs to be given and not the accidental misinformation that is at the other blogs. Appreciate your sharing this greatest doc.

Great beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your site, how can i subscribe for a blog website? The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear concept

The clarity in your post is just great and i can assume you're an expert on this subject.Thanks a million and please continue the work.

I amazed with the analysis you made. Great!

A good site with interesting content, this is what I need. Thank you for keeping this web site, I'll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can not find it.

This is really interesting, You're a very skilled blogger. I have joined your feed!

Awsome blog! I am loving it!! Will be back later to read some more. I am bookmarking your feeds also

Thank you for any other wonderful post. The place else may anybody get that type of information in such an ideal way of writing? I've a presentation next week, and I am at the look for such info.

whoah this weblog is excellent i like reading your posts. Keep up the great paintings! You know, a lot of people are looking around for this information, you can aid them greatly.

I intended to send you a very small observation to say thanks the moment again on the awesome thoughts you've featured in this article. It has been so shockingly generous with you to provide publicly what many individuals would've sold for an electronic book to end up making some bucks for themselves, particularly considering the fact that you could have tried it if you ever desired. The thoughts likewise served to become a fantastic way to know that other people have the identical zeal the same as mine to see a good deal more when considering this condition. I'm certain there are millions of more pleasant times in the future for individuals that read through your website.

Hotel Search for Travel - JustiGo.com