Dissertations & Research in an Era of Change

Every year as new grad students come back for further coursework they comment on how much research and information have changed in recent years.

These documents are fascinating reads (though not intended as light reading) as they show the development of a researcher and his/her research through the process from idea evaluation through contemplation of impact and potential next steps. They also include wonderful, comprehensive literature reviews of value to anyone taking on a research project.

Just as everything else is going digital, so are dissertations. In the past one could order interlibrary loans of print or microform editions of published/accepted dissertations from the granting institution. Virginia Tech's Ed Fox (a good friend from my years at CD-ROM Professional where he served on the editorial board for me) has led a major international effort to bring dissertations into Open Access, making them available - in some cases even with datasets and other files attached - freely over the web. The Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations database currently gives access to over 1.5 million dissertations (most in pdf format) from across the globe.

So, how does this change access? This project, for me, began with a query from a faculty member. Even I was surprised at how much access to these documents has changed. Want to know more? Check out this article I wrote :

"Dissertations and Research in an Era of Change," SEARCHER 18(2): 22-35, March 2010. Final Paper.pdf

The University of Minnesota Libraries offer special, free workshops on doing research using dissertations and other tools to help users answer the question: "How Do I Know That I've Found Everything?" If you're on campus, you may want to sign up for this, or other workshops, to help you refine your research methods and improve your results!

Thanks for posting this! I needed the article for a paper.

The article isn't all there. Can you post another copy? I can't read this one. Thanks.

You enter reason for point a very good webmaster. It filling swiftness is unbelievable. Them form of thinks that you're doing just about any exclusive technique. Also, This belongings will be masterwork. you have done an admirable job during this matter!

Hi there, You have done an incredible job. I will definitely digg it and personally suggest to my friends.

Hi there- Is this exhibit coming anywhere near Ottawa, Canada? We have a couple of museums that might be good venues... Natural History Museum and Museum of Science and Technology. I would guess they plan their special exhibits more than 2 years in advance, though...

This is certainly great, most certainly check it out, useful website, will bookmark, thanks.

Valuable information. Fortunate me I discovered your website by chance, and I'm shocked why this twist of fate did not took place earlier! I bookmarked it.

very clean and greatstyle and design, let alone the content. You're an expert in this topic!

This is really interesting, You're a very skilled blogger. I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your great post.

I'm so happy to read this. Appreciate your sharing this.

Great blog website!

This website as very clean and the content.

The clarity in your post is just great and i can assume you're an expert on this subject.Thanks a million and please continue the work.

I amazed with the analysis you made. Great!

A good site with interesting content, this is what I need. Thank you for keeping this web site, I'll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can not find it.

This is really interesting, You're a very skilled blogger. I have joined your feed!

Wow. And this we ended up being truly searching within the internet site. Appreciate it with the information.

Thank you for sharing excellent informations. Your web-site is so cool. I'm impressed by the details that you have on this blog. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for more articles. You, my pal, ROCK! I found simply the information I already searched everywhere and simply could not come across. What a great site.

Hi, Neat post. There is an issue with your website in web explorer, would test this¡K IE still is the market chief and a huge element of folks will pass over your great writing due to this problem.

Excellent items from you, man. I've take into accout your stuff previous to and you are just extremely wonderful. I actually like what you've acquired here, certainly like what you are saying and the way by which you assert it. You are making it entertaining and you still take care of to stay it wise. I can not wait to read much more from you. That is really a wonderful web site.

I'm keen on the precious details a person contribute towards your content. I am going to take a note of your site in addition to look into just as before listed here typically toshiba. I'm to some degree i will probably be shared with a lot of innovative information proper below! All the best for!