EBOOKS EVERYWHERE: The Digital Transformation of Reading

Ebooks are everywhere today - millions of them, actually - and so many of them are free. Think of all of the government documents, research reports, free PubMed and other sources for articles. Then think of all of the online reference books and materials you can get in libraries. And let's not forget the wonderful efforts of Project Gutenberg and the Internet Archive. And, then, of course, there is Google - can't forget their role in all of this. Through Google Books, we have the ability to search through the fulltext of hundreds of thousands (or more) books and find just the information that you need. No more having to rely on indexes or leafing through the pages of books hoping to find some little bit of information that seems elusive. Not any more!

As Harvard's Dean of Libraries, Robert Darnton notes: "Through technological wizardry and sheer audacity, Google has shown how we can transform the intellectual riches of our libraries, books lying inert and underused on shelves."

He also suggests that we need to find a way to make these truly and forever a public good: "But only a digital public library will provide readers with what they require to face the challenges of the 21st century - a vast collection of resources that can be tapped, free of charge, by anyone, anywhere, at any time."

Whether you are a Kindle fan, a Nook user or even if you prefer your existing PDA or PC, ebooks are a major step forward. Making these available to all the people for all time is the obligation that libraries have taken on. Check out what your library is doing to support and provide these key resources - you might be surprised.

For example, here at the University of Minnesota, a team led by Jim Stemper came up with a wonderful way to link vital information on our ebook collections for our users. The complexity is a bit mind-boggling - but that's another story.

For a look at where libraries are with ebooks today, check out a recent article I wrote for the July/August 2011 issue of SEARCHER magazine titled "Ebooks Everywhere."

Are you aware of all of the digital reading that you do each day? The printed page won't be going away anytime soon, but for information and quick access to facts and information, the ebook can't be beat!

What about the move by Amazon into cloud based ebooks? Walmart is doing it too.

I love your blog, you should add an RSS feed feature so I can get automatic notifications of new blogs. If you set one up please email me! i will bookmark you for now. Again Excellent Blog!

It's interesting that Amazon is saying that ebooks are now selling faster than traditional books. I don't think paper books will die out anytime soon, but the way Amazon is developing nad promoting the Kindle, it's clear how they see the ebook market progressing.

I like to always read the articles in this site was my favorite

This is getting a bit more subjective, but I much prefer the Zune Marketplace. The interface is colorful, has more flair, and some cool features like 'Mixview' that let you quickly see related albums, songs, or other users related to what you're listening to. Clicking on one of those will center on that item, and another set of "neighbors" will come into view, allowing you to navigate around exploring by similar artists, songs, or users. Speaking of users, the Zune "Social" is also great fun, letting you find others with shared tastes and becoming friends with them. You then can listen to a playlist created based on an amalgamation of what all your friends are listening to, which is also enjoyable. Those concerned with privacy will be relieved to know you can prevent the public from seeing your personal listening habits if you so choose.

You can definitely see your expertise in the paintings you write. The sector hopes for more passionate writers like you who aren't afraid to say how they believe. All the time go after your heart.

Hi, im a private investigator by profession and came across your site on EBOOKS EVERYWHERE: The Digital Transformation of Reading - Information on a Stick whilst doing some research like we do lol just wanted to say it not only does it make sense but is more less a fact and I appreciate your little article on this :)

It's a pleasure to be visiting again, top notch website.

I love this blog. It is a work of art as in good and also healing!Grateful I discovered your Page through performing a search on Msn.

Going to your website certainly made me to discover some things todays morning. Thanks a lot a lot for giving out this data.

After started to go through beginning of article i didn't expect it may be useful facts for me but at this point I am seriously greatful that I located this webpage to browse. Cheers to the publisher.

This is just not onlly one of your reports I've read, and you never end to impress me. Warm regards, and I await browsing more.

It really is a terrific set of information you discussed in this article, I seriously feel we can be expecting much more soon.

Motion is a fantastic restorer and builder of self confidence. Inaction is not only the result, but the lead to, of dread. Perhaps the motion you take will be profitable possibly diverse action or changes will have to comply with. But any motion is much better than no motion at all.

Hello.This post was really interesting, particularly because I was investigating for thoughts on this matter last Saturday.

I simply want to say I am new to blogging and site-building and honestly savored your blog site. Most likely I’m want to bookmark your website . You certainly have amazing writings. Regards for revealing your blog site.

I am continually looking online for ideas that can help me. Thank you!

Thank you for every other amazing article. Wherever else might any individual have that kind of details in these a perfect manner of creating? I own a demonstration future week, that i'm about the seek out these kinds of info.