Identity Imprint | Main | Miss Manners - Making the World Safe for Open Adoption

Friday cat blogging - meet Pookie

The first time I encountered Friday Cat Blogging was courtesy of Brian Link, intrepid director of the Waltham Abbey Singers. During a "slow" stretch in our season when not too many blog posts or comments were coming in from singers, he posted pictures and comments about his cats. Being a cat person myself, I thought they were pretty great and filed the idea away for the future. Recently, when visiting UThink's "Coffee Grounds" blog, (7/15/2005) I noticed ... Friday Cat Blogging. Well --- that made me wonder whether something greater might not be afoot here. So I went to all-knowing Google, and found 48,300 hits when the full phrase was placed in quotation marks!

Of keen interest was a New York Times article from October 28, 2004: "On Fridays, Bloggers Sometimes Retract their Claws," which is linked here. So it's a venerable tradition all its own in the blogosphere.

Well, I'm as proud of my cats as anyone, so I'd like to introduce them to you one at a time. We begin today with Pookie. As my wife would say, Pookie's got "gravitas." He could be Pope, or at least a great Supreme Court Justice. He's wise, yet inscrutable; laid back, yet focused; the elder statesman of our tribe. If he were a human, he might relish a big ol' cigar along with his brandy from time to time.

Pookie1.jpg

Pookie2.jpg

Posted by hgroteva at July 29, 2005 7:54 AM | Cats

I am hesitant to make this claim, but if I had to pick a favorite of the Tonkinese Tribe This silver feline would be the one. In the little time I have spent caring for these ever-loving and entertaining cats I can attest to Hal's claim that Pookie, if human, would be a brandy snifting, cigar holding, Supreme Court justice and I would proud to call him a friend.

Posted by: Ian at July 29, 2005 9:18 PM

Amen!!

Posted by: Hal at July 29, 2005 9:23 PM

The top picture of Pookie is a favorite pose that does capture her true essence. Although my loyalty is still with the Siamese...because I adore their heart-wrenching yeowls, Pookie and her other 3 companions have managed to win over my heart with their unique personalities and individual beauty.

Posted by: Heather at July 30, 2005 12:00 PM

What great pictures! Pookie *does* appear to have gravitas. I admit to being ignorant of the Friday cat blogging tradition as well. I liked this quote from that NY Times article: "I'd just blogged a whole bunch of stuff about what was wrong with the world," Mr. Drum said. "And I turned around and I looked out the window, and there was one of my cats, just plonked out, looking like nothing was wrong with the world at all." Cats are great that way.

If you're interested, click on my name to see pix of our Abyssinians (*not* posted on a Friday, by the way)...

Posted by: Carrie at August 1, 2005 4:49 PM

Carrie - Thanks for posting the pictures of your very intelligent cats. Could Pippin help with my proofreading too??

Posted by: Hal at August 1, 2005 7:47 PM