More about Waltham Abbey | Main | Lost Boys of Sudan

To Split, or Not To Split? (or To Not Split?)

In Stephen Wilbers' "Effective Writing" column (Star Tribune, 1-15-07), he wrote about split infinitives. My eighth grade take-no-prisoners English grammar teacher, Miss Mary Buckingham, taught us NEVER to split infinitives. (NOT to never split infinitives.) Well, Wilbers takes a more moderate stance, which I follow in my own writing and appreciate. What I didn't know was the origin of the no-split-infinitives policy. He noted that the origin of this rule was with Robert Loweth, who tried to import his knowledge of Latin into the English language. "Because the infinitive is a single word in Latin, and therefore cannot be split, he reasoned (wrongly, to my mind), it should not be split in English. Before he wrote his unfortunate book, few English speakers gave it a thought." I'll never feel guilty about splitting an infinitive again - if it makes sense to do so. And I'll be a bit more tolerant of my students' usage as well. To quote Wilbers' conclusion today: "So we can say to boldly go in good consencience."

Thanks, Mr. Wilbers!

Posted by hgroteva at January 16, 2007 9:36 AM | Writing

Even though this may be true, I am still taking a strong stance to never split infinitives. I make efforts to really try hard to, for better or for worse, be correct in my grammar. So, for this columnist to willy nilly do away with standard Enlgish - he's crazy.

Posted by: Chris gonzalez at January 16, 2007 2:41 PM