Lost Boys of Sudan | Main | "Race" Exhibit at the Science Museum

American Hospitality

I couldn't help drawing connections between my last post (about "The Lost Boys of Sudan") and today's NYTimes story about American hospitality in Clarkston, Georgia. The mayor has decreed that there will be no more soccer in the town park - "There will be nothing but baseball and football down there as long as I am mayor ... Those fields weren't made for soccer." Well, the story behind the story is that the soccer players are refugees living in Clarkston who resettled there from countries such as Afghanistan, Bosnia, Iraq, Somalia, and yes, Sudan. The kids formed a team called "The Fugees" (yes, for "refugees") and played the game they know and love, soccer. The article points out that "their presence brings out the best in some people and the worst in others." Sounds like the worst is winning so far.

Posted by hgroteva at January 21, 2007 9:23 AM | Culture

Hi Hal: It's Sherrie, from Malibu Moo's in Fish Creek Wisconsin. I hope you had a nice winter. Did you do anything fun?

This story of the "Fugee" soccer players reminds me of a story I once heard when I was a child. "There was an elderly Native American Grandfather talking to his grandson. They were conversing of the 2 wolves that he had known that were now fighting and at odds. He described the wolves to the child as follows: One of the wolves was mean: always fighting, never sharing his food with others, snarling at his friends as well as enemies. The other was kind: helping other wolves and animals despite which herd they came from, and shared his food and good thoughts of life. The child asked "Grandfather, which one wins?" The Grandfather replied "The one we feed".

Posted by: Sherrie Morrisey - Malibu Moo's Frozen Griddle at January 23, 2007 5:34 PM