"Race" Exhibit at the Science Museum | Main | Conspirare - A Group to be Watching

Give Me My Radio Back!

I'm a big NPR / MPR fan, EXCEPT during those infernal times of the year when they have their pledge drives -- like now. The latest one started last Thursday. I just can't bear to listen during it - it's so irritating and distressing. (I know they need the money, and I guess they keep being reinforced for doing the pledge drives, because people do respond. I make sure to send in my membership fee at OTHER times during the year.)

In the Twin Cities, we had a good thing going when WCAL, a classical music station not owned by MPR, conducted its pledge drive at times when MPR stations weren't. So when MPR was doing its drive, I could listen all the time to WCAL, and vice versa. Now that MPR bought out WCAL, all 3 of the MPR stations do their fund drives simultaneously. There's no escaping. To top it off, the pledge drives seem to extend longer each year.

I feel sorry for the announcers who have to go on and on begging for money. I suspect they're muttering "This is not what I signed up for!" But they seem to weather it with relatively good humor.

I've been tuning in to some "commercial" stations - but AACK! This morning, one of the stations was telling the story of Anna Nicole Smith meeting St. Peter at the pearly gates. I can't tell you how many different ways that was revolting!

Well, that's enough of a rant for this Monday morning. It felt good to get it off my chest. But give me my radio stations back!

Posted by hgroteva at February 12, 2007 9:22 AM | Life | Minnesota | Music - of all kinds

Oh, I have felt your pain for days now. I have not gone to commercial radio, though. That is truly an act of desperation. I am so sorry it came to that.

Posted by: Chris gonzalez at February 12, 2007 7:45 PM

Oh, it was desperation -- but I won't be going back there. I'm lucky I didn't have a wreck driving when the Anna Nicole Smith story came on. I've been spending more time with my CDs. A new favorite (a Christmas present from my son): "Requiem: We Are So Lightly Here" by Conspirare, a wonderful Austin-based choir. It leads off with the Howells Requiem, which is probably my favorite of all ... I've almost worn it out.

Posted by: Hal at February 12, 2007 7:49 PM