August 2007 | Main | October 2007

The Jazz Image - Cheers to Leigh Kamman

Leigh Kamman.jpg

I'm listening to the last broadcast of The Jazz Image on MPR -- hosted by Leigh Kamman.

Here is a link to his farewell message to those of us in the audience.

I've enjoyed the show for years. There's something both exciting and soothing about his theme music from Alice Babs -- she hits those sweet high notes just like butter. His show provided my broadest and deepest exposure to jazz, and I am thankful for it.

Jon Bream's column in the Strib this morning noted that Leigh was the "Voice of Jazz" for 6 decades. Now 85, Kamman has interviewed countless jazz musicians and played their music on his weekly show. Now that he's signing off of the show, he plans to return to writing a book he began in the 1970s. Good for him!! Congratulations and godspeed! and thanks...

Here's a site where you can contribute your memories of his program and read what others have said.

And now, back to listening....

Posted by hgroteva at 9:30 PM

"Nessun Dorma" Sung by Pavarotti

The world lost an incredible tenor last week when Luciano Pavarotti died. I have never been a huge opera fan -- a close friend of mine whose family listened to the Texaco Hour every Saturday while she was growing up once commented that it is an "acquired taste" - and I have to agree. But I do love some of the famous arias. And my most favorite is "Nessun Dorma" from Puccini's Turandot. It was one of Pavarotti's signature pieces.

Courtesy of YouTube, here he is singing it at the Torino Olympics in 2006. I would swear that during one of his rests towards the end where the orchestra is swelling, the audience is singing it in the background. The whole thing gives me goosebumps!! Enjoy...

Posted by hgroteva at 8:28 PM

Scenes from the Renaissance Faire

Last Saturday was brilliantly sunny, and 75 degrees with a slight breeze. A perfect day.
Except that I was still reeling from the news of Wayne's untimely death. Tromping around the Faire helped distract me from my grief a little, but not much. Here are some scenes that I hope you enjoy and can escape into as needed.

Faire13-flags1.jpg

Faire20-jouster.jpg

Faire36-belly dance4.jpg

Faire30-piper.jpg

Faire32-tall puppets.jpg

Faire35-king + queen in parade.jpg

Faire03-in stocks.jpg

Faire25-sleeping lady w dog.jpg

Posted by hgroteva at 5:42 AM