September 2008 | Main | November 2008

Birth Day

Birth Day.jpg

Posted by hgroteva at 6:38 PM

Interlude

In the midst of the political vile spewed forth last week, not to mention the free-fall of the world economy, an interlude of beauty is needed. Here are a few pictures taken outside our house yesterday.

DSC00163a.jpg

DSC00164.JPG

DSC00167a.jpg

DSC00169.JPG

DSC00170.JPG

It's time for peacemakers to emerge, from the international scene on down to the most local of interactions. All is NOT fair in politics, especially when it comes to stirring up wars along the lines of race, class, or sexual orientation. It must stop.

Posted by hgroteva at 9:42 AM

Friday Cat Blogging (+ a little political commentary): Missing Shadow

Shadow1.jpg

Shadow2.jpg

Shadow3.jpg

Shadow has been missing for a little over 48 hours. He's 9 years old and has never shown any interest in going outdoors. But he got curious Wednesday afternoon and was lured outside, and hasn't been heard from since. We have been walking the neighborhood calling his name & talking to neighbors. We keep the house lit up like a stadium at night so he can find the way. This is a very quiet street, so we don't think he has had a mishap with a car. But there are some brushy areas and a creek nearby. Anyway, send good vibes to Shadow (and me).

Tonight, I sat in disbelief (not really) to hear Michele Bachman (R-MN) tell Chris Matthews that many (most?) liberals and leftists were un-American. Later in the program, he had on the editor of The Nation, Katrina vanden Heuvel. who commented that she thought Bachman was "channeling Joe McCarthy." I agree. It all came about because of a robocall that is being pushed out by the McCain campaign in the states that are still in play, emphasizing the association between Obama and Bill Ayers, and using scary language to imply that Obama is dangerous and un-American. How far into the gutter must we go? It's pretty disgusting. I thought Obama was extremely presidential in all 3 debates, and I would be proud to call him my President. If the other side wins, there will be bleak times ahead.

Posted by hgroteva at 7:45 PM

SHADOW CAME HOME!

I just went down to close up for the night, and Shadow was sitting in the front porch window! I cannot believe it - I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.

He was a bit skittish and seems a bit thinner, but he's eating (with gusto) and is loving to rub against everything. I am so, so happy!!!

He has been gone for 5 days, and at least 2 of the nights got down into the mid 20s. He doesn't seem scratched up or anything -- just seems to be a little thin and weak. I will be happy to nurse him back to health!

Posted by hgroteva at 10:21 PM

The Shadow Report (+ a little more political commentary)

Thanks to all of Shadow's fans for your supportive thoughts while he was missing and your joy upon his return. He's doing extremely well. After being a bit wobbly and thin, he has eaten his fill and is now seeming pretty much back to normal. An incredibly resilient fellow - fortunately!

On the political front, I continue to be amazed at the naivete of Rep. Bachman from MN and Gov Palin. Tonight, Chris Matthews (Hardball) interviewed Bill Maher and they discussed one clip from Bachman (need to investigate how many of those people in Congress are pro-American) and Palin (the VP can "get in there [the Senate] and make a lot of good policy changes.") Maher's comment on the duo was - "That's a real Beavis and Butthead we've got there."
Judge for yourself. (This election can't come soon enough!)

Posted by hgroteva at 6:48 PM

Colin Powell's Endorsement

Last Sunday was General Colin Powell's extraordinary endorsement of Sen. Barak Obama for President on Meet the Press. In a space of about 15 minutes, he nailed a whole variety of reasons for his decision -- it knocked my socks off. Now here is an American hero.

Posted by hgroteva at 10:41 PM

Friday Cat Blogging - Palling around in the Tonkpile

Tonkpile 102208.jpg

Still liking to be close, after all these years. Shadow is on the left.

Posted by hgroteva at 2:34 AM