November 2008 | Main | January 2009

Holidays - Palling Around with the Grandkids

It's such fun to experience the holidays through the eyes of a 2 and 4 year old - it's really magical. We had lots of quality time together as well as many opportunities to get glimpses into who they are and might become. Take a look.

Meredith the Vet.jpg

Reid - Hook em.jpg

Meredith fire-fighter.jpg

Reid the Magician.jpg

Meredith as Dorothy.jpg

Reid and the Tiger 3.jpg

Posted by hgroteva at 1:48 PM

Me and Teo

During the Austin holidays, I've developed a ritual of working at Teo's coffee shop in the morning before everyone else wakes up. They have free wifi, which my mother-in-law no longer has. It's a good place to work -- just the right amount of activity, music in the background, a Christmas tree, and willingness to let me nurse a large latte for a few hours. I've had fun working on the syllabus for my spring semester seminar, The Psychology of Adoption.

Every year I test my own feelings about Austin as my HOME, and every year the verdict comes back the same: YES. I have lived in the following places, in this order: Utica, NY: Buffalo, NY; Dallas, TX; Austin, TX; Dallas, TX; Vallejo, CA (near San Francisco); Minneapolis, MN; Austin, TX; St. Paul, MN; Amherst, MA. Of all these places, Austin feels most like home. There's something about being a UT undergraduate in the 1960s that imprinted it in my soul in some compelling way. The other places hold good memories and varying feelings of connection, but Austin stands out.

The grandkids helped us decorate the small Christmas tree yesterday evening. Magic.

Happy holiday wishes to all!
--Inner Geek

Posted by hgroteva at 11:28 AM

Hope in the Bleak Mid-Winter

I read in the most recent BBC Music Magazine that "In the Bleak Mid-Winter" was voted the most popular Christmas carol by a panel of famous choral directors and composers from the UK and US. As I look out my window at the gently falling snow, the song certainly fits in with the mood of the day.

But a little while ago, I watched Tom Brokaw's interview with Barack Obama on Meet the Press. Obama is so impressive. His thoughtfulness, presence of mind, breadth of knowledge, and ability to inspire have helped transform this terribly glum time (economy, unemployment, etc.) into a time when there is hope. Hope is a good thing.

Posted by hgroteva at 12:28 PM