Category "Six Feet Under"

Six Feet Under - R.I.P.

SFUep18_1.jpg

The last episode - ever - of "Six Feet Under" airs this Sunday evening on HBO. I will have more to say in the weeks to come, but I couldn't let this event pass without comment. I'm a huge fan of the show, having taught (with Heather Haberman) a course about family dynamics using the first season of SFU as our common experiential base. On NPR this afternoon, I heard a piece on "Day to Day" about the show, its premise, and its impact. You can hear the story by clicking here. In fact, the NPR website has quite a few archived interviews with SFU actors and Alan Ball, the mind behind it all.

What drew me to the show was that it was real. I don't mean that the plots were realistic - in fact, some of them were so far-fetched that I'd certainly hope they couldn't be real (like the one about the baker who got shredded in the mixing vat). What I mean is that the characters were complex and really human. They all had rich interior lives which Alan Ball let us into, and they all struggled mightily to survive and thrive in the midst of complicated circumstances. They dealt honestly and openly with complex human emotions. Family dinnertime conversations were not idealized or romanticized occasions for togetherness - they were the coming together of individuals with complex emotions, lots of baggage, and many needs. But those gathered around the table gave it their best shot - their depth of caring and commitment was genuine.

I will surely miss this show. After watching Season 1 many times, I feel that I really know the Fishers and their extended network. I'd like to know some of them in real life -- but that will have to be the topic for a post some other day. I hope to teach my seminar again in the future. What topics could be more germane to understanding families: attachment, death, development across the life span, identity, intimacy, boundaries, emotion regulation, sibling relationships, sexuality, psychopathology, children... It's all there for the taking.

R.I.P., and thanks for making our lives richer.

Posted by hgroteva at 4:31 PM | Six Feet Under

Category "Six Feet Under"

Who's Looking for "Six Feet Under" Transcripts???

Various life events have precluded me from blogging much of late. However, I periodically check sitemeter to see whether anybody's visiting my blog. The largest number of hits on my site lately have been for people searching for "Six Feet Under" transcripts. These hits have come from all over the world; most recently from Zambia. This is not new - I have seen many such hits since my blog began over a year ago.

I have a link to a transcript site on my blog, but I believe it is now a dead end and I just haven't taken the time to remove it. Nevertheless, I continue to have a steady stream of visitors looking for the transcripts.

So I'm curious -- Who is looking for "Six Feet Under" transcripts, and why? Feel free to leave a comment.

Posted by hgroteva at 1:39 PM | Six Feet Under

Category "Six Feet Under"

Nate died today.

Nate.jpg

Well, not exactly.

You see, I am watching all of Six Feet Under as I work out on my elliptical machine, and today I saw episode 61, in which Nate was buried. Very very sad.

I was touched by the poem that Nate's Aunt Sarah (Ruth's sister) read at the graveside. I searched for it on the HBO website, and this is what I found.

from The Mystic Odes of Rumi via the 5th Season of Six Feet Under

Our death is our wedding with eternity.
What is the secret? "God is One."
The sunlight splits when entering the windows of the house.
This multiplicity exists in the cluster of grapes;
It is not in the juice made from the grapes.
For he who is living in the Light of God,
The death of the carnal soul is a blessing.
Regarding him, say neither bad nor good,
For he is gone beyond the good and the bad.
Fix your eyes on God and do not talk about what is invisible,
So that he may place another look in your eyes.
It is in the vision of the physical eyes
That no invisible or secret thing exists.
But when the eye is turned toward the Light of God
What thing could remain hidden under such a Light?
Although all lights emanate from the Divine Light
Don't call all these lights "the Light of God";
It is the eternal light which is the Light of God,
The ephemeral light is an attribute of the body and the flesh.

...Oh God who gives the grace of vision!
The bird of vision is flying towards You with the wings of desire.

Posted by hgroteva at 10:01 PM | Six Feet Under

Category "Family"

Category "Six Feet Under"

Home Is Where They Have To Take You In When No One Else Will

Six Feet Under - Fishers.jpg

I watched the last episode of Six Feet Under this morning. At their core, the Fishers are the most traditional of families, while at a glance, they may look dysfunctional and crazy. Ruth embodies the unconditional love that is at the center of their family. Although each member moves in and out and has all manner of planned and unplanned misadventures, Ruth remains in the eye of the hurricane. She keeps her door unlocked, and no one in her family is turned away, even if she knows they will break her heart again. Socialized to relate only to the most traditional model of what family should be, she moved to embracing the most unconventional and diverse in all its beauty and awkwardness.

When Claire prepared to leave for New York, Ruth said, "I pray you will be filled with hope as long as you possibly can." That sums it up. Yes - life is difficult and to think of it as all happiness and satisfaction is grossly naive. At the same time, we must continue hoping each and every day. It's what keeps us being able to put one foot in front of another.

Posted by hgroteva at 10:06 AM | Family | Six Feet Under