« Nature's Role with Technopolies | Main | Group Presentations »

Virtual Reality

computer.jpg

I must be honest that I am not exactly sure what to title this blog, as I am not sure what the significant link of the last two articles and lectures where. I do not really have a subject to write on, but have many thoghts on the readings. All of the information in the text pertains to both designers and all other people alike. I think that there are great similarities between these last readings and the article on technopolies. All of this pertains to the role of the designer, and how we use technology to change our environment, culture, and everday interactions with people.

The first article by Zukin talks about how important an architect's role is. We have great powere, as an architect puts his or her "signature" on the landscape. The role of an architect is clearly a very important one.

The Disney land article continues to explore the power of design. Desney land is like a virtual reality. I think that although it is a theme park, it is a completely designed environment. This is an example of the power of architecture. When one goes to Disney Land, it is not the physical state of the buildings, but rather the Magical Feeling that on gets when exploring the park. This shows that architecture is Powerful beyond what can be seen. I think that Disney land is very similar to reality, but is not conventional. It has many elements that are present and will be present/valid in the future.

The Gershenfeld article seemed to have a slighltly different idea. It really added insight to reality, and linked many of my thoughts. The neat thing about this professor is that his students make their ideas concrete. THis is actually a flip from what I was previously talking about with how ideas of architecture don't have to be concrete. Maybe this actually shows how the two are closely related elements of design. (Physical vs. Virtually Real Ideas). I think that this article also shows how an architect must work closely with the client. There is so much merit in vernacular architecture, or in this case, vernacular design in general. It is neat t be able to make ideas come to life. Sounds like a neat studio session that the U of M program could integrate into it's curriculum.