« Week 5 | Main | Week 7 »

Week 6

As of now, Saturday night at 9:45pm, I have succesfully volunteered once. I went today from 3-6pm. It was really snowy but getting to St. Anne's was not that difficult. I got there a little late because of the buses but they said that they were just happy that I came at all. The first thing I helped with was sorting through some of the donated clothes. None of the residents are allowed to be in the office while people sort through the clothes because the staff doesn't want anyone to have an unfair advantage to what kind of clothes are there. After that I helped them figure out what they were going to prepare for dinner. We found some chicken in the downstairs freezer and one of the other lady staff members helped make a salad and one of her potato recipes. I didn't really do much after that. I kind of just sat around and played with some of the kids when they came in and out of the office. I had my nails painted black and some of the kids thought that was interesting. It was really shiny polish and they kept playing with my hands. Most of the parents that live there were out working or searching for apartments to try and rent. While I was there one of the staff members helps a woman find a place to stay for the night since she had nowhere to go. It was nice to see how accomodating everyone was to help this woman out. I left at 6 to catch the bus. Unfortunately it took me an hour and a half to get back home. It wasn't because of the snow. My transfer bus was just half an hour late. Bummer! But overall, I think the first day went ok. I just wish that they had a little more stuff for me to do while I am there.

It's a shame you don't have a donate button! I'd definitely donate to this fantastic blog! I suppose for now i'll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to brand new updates and will share this site with my Facebook group. Talk soon!