End of the program

I think I have learned a lot from these experiences. I think my favorite one was the podcasts. It was fun to actually learn how they work and what they can do for us. If there was another course like this I would definitely be interested in learning more new things. At the moment I'm not really using any of these things in my daily work life (my 2 days a week). But I will always keep them in the back of my mind and use them if I need them. Thanks for all the information and will this blog be up to use as a reference if we forget some of the details?

Web Conferencing

Well, I went in there and created a meeting. It is kind of wierd, but I would probably find it useful. I think it is pretty easy to use too. I like that there are different formats to communicate to your other members with. I think it would be useful to do a conference with learning how to do the paperwork for the Nutrition Program. A couple months ago I had to drive all the way to Brainerd, which is an hour and a half drive for me one way. I got there and had to wait a few minutes then I sat down and watched how they entered information in exel with one other lady and that lasted about an hour and we were done. Then we just drove back home. It was pretty pointless, they could have taught us through the UM Conferencing or whatever it was called and they wouldn't have had to pay me for a full day of just driving. That will be a suggestion next time I have to have a training. Anyways, I did learn from that, that there are other ways of training than just having to meet face to face with the people. Enough for this time.

Chatting and Twitter

Well, I have had some chat accounts in the past, and I do find them very helpful, if the person is online at the same time as you. I can really see how this would help in a school situation, so the professor can be in his office and helping a lot of students at the same time, plus probably doing his own work or whatever they need to do. I can also see this helping in a big office building where you need to get a lot of work done, and you have a question, but really don't have a lot of time to walk all the way to the other side of the building just to get the answer that you will forget on the way back. Yeah, I could see that happening to me, because if I don't act right-a-way, then I will either totally forget or start to second guess myself. I think I will check out UMChat, because that sounds interesting. Maybe I can learn about different things that are of interest.

I think Twitter is a very wierd site. I can sort of see the purpose of it, if you have a large group of people that you are trying to communicate with. But, if you really don't have anyone that you care to know every little detail about their life, then it would be kind of pointless and confusing. Plus, I don't have unlimited text messaging on my phone, it costs me 15 cents a message. So, I would be spending a lot of money knowing what people that I don't even know are doing, say for example brushing their teeth, who cares?!? Anyways, I will keep it in the back of my mind if there is ever a real need for it. I think I'm able to keep up with mostly everyone who I care to know about on Facebook or Myspace. Anyways, I'm going to check out UMChat now. So ttyl. and lol.

Social Networking Sites

Wow, I read the article on the research of Social Networking Sites, and I never even realized the potential. Now that I think about it, it is true that you learn a lot about technology and how it works, and sometimes doesn't. I have both a myspace and facebook account and I have quite a few friends that I know and don't know. It is very interesting on how you get to know people a little bit more by looking at their profiles and talking to them over the internet. I guess I never even knew that you could really find jobs from people that your friends might know, but then again I probably don't have friends that know other people that could give me a job, not like I need another job anyway. Jobs usually tend to find me and not the other way around. Well, I guess I better touch on the part we are supposed to be talking about and that is that what we could do to start a network of people. I'm already a part of the 4-H alumni group on facebook, but I think that I could start a group for current 4-Hers either by county or club or something, I think it would be fun to discuss different ideas and maybe projects, and maybe get people connected to other people that know more about a certain project that they didn't know about. If that makes any sense. I think they are great places to keep in touch with old friends and make new ones. Ok, that is all I'm going to write this week, thanks for enlightening me about the learning opportunities.

Documents on the web.

Well, I have never actually heard of this type of thing before. But it is a very interesting thing. Well, I have read only a few comments from people on Google Docs and they had some comments that got my wheels spinning. I was doing a speech a few years ago with 3 other girls and we had to keep getting together to do research and write our speech together, you know how that goes. But if had had something like Google Docs then we could have written our speech together in seperate places, how easy would that have been, than we could have just written our portion, uploaded it and then we would have had the whole thing done. I am sure that will help out a lot of college students out with scheduling conflicts.

There are other things that I was thinking could be done with this. I'm sure a lot of people use a lot of computers (well, maybe at least two) then you could just use this concept and not have to worry about transferring and remembering which one you saved it to blah blah blah. I was also thinking that you could upload 4-H meeting agendas to the website and people with internet could go in and make changes, print them, or see what is going to happen at the meeting, or if they are going to miss the meeting, they know what they will miss and what to ask about. Aha, good idea.

Ok, now I'm going to check out the other sites.................................................................

Well, I guess that the rest of them were just as idea creating, although I don't really want to write about them here. They sure do help you out in your everyday life, I'm sure they are created by people who needed this technology and then put it out there for other people to use. I will look into them at some other time. Right now I'm too busy to organize my life. lol. Peace

Wiki's

Wiki's are very interesting things. The only Wiki I have ever really heard of and actually visited is wikipedia.com. I think it is kind of a weird thing that wikipedia is an encyclopedia that everyone can edit, because anyone could just go in there and say whatever they wanted and even if there are editors, wouldn't it be up there for a while and there is bound to be some people that are going to see the post and believe it, even if it's not true.

Anyway, I went to all the links and some of them were interesting and some of them were a little confusing and you had to keep clicking links in order to get any real information. On the one link that was the eXtension wiki, I found a link about 4-H, so I clicked and then I found a link about 4-H and youtube, so I clicked and then it brought me to UTube and there were links to 4-H news and there was a whole bunch of videos of different kids at the Country Music Awards and they were interviewing people like Taylor Swift who was a former 4-Her and collaborated with other Country Music performers who were also former 4-Hers to create the Clover Country CD. I thought that was super cool because it was just little kids who were interviewing them and they answered the questions and were very interesting.

I also thought that the Thomas Jefferson wiki was sweet, because it had different information, but only people that studied at the Thomas Jefferson University and were studying about him were able to post information, but the public could post comments about the posts, which were interesting to read and they also had a place where you could ask questions and they would respond with what they knew about the subject.

I also checked out the Peace Corps link and that gave me an idea about how wiki's would be useful in everyday life or if you had a special interest. When I went in there it gave information about the peace corps and other things, but it also brought you right to the peace corps site. So, I was thinking that if you had a specialty business, like mine is a Scandinavian/Finnish Gift Shop, then you could find a wiki about that subject and then either write about your business, your items or whatever you wanted and then you could put a link to your business so people could find out more information. Then it would get other people interested in your products or the country or your store, then it could be like free advertising. And you could put your own input out to the web, and you would maybe reach more people than them looking for just you. It could really work for any other things too. And you wouldn't have to start your own blog and then have to tell everyone about it. It could also work for mom's if they have advice or find articles that they like. It can also work like that in Extension, like was already mentioned. Ok, I think I have written enough, but I think it is interesting. Peace out you wiki people.

Here's a link to the website to YouTube that is with the country stars and other 4-H News:
http://www.youtube.com/user/4HNetworkNews

Podcasts

Well, I have heard of podcasts, but I have never checked any out. I went on the PodNova website and they have pretty interesting podcasts. I tried to add one to my bloglines account (which I forgot I even had, oops) and it didn't work, and I'm am definitely running out of time for this week. So, maybe I will attempt next week. I actually really don't know if the one I picked out I even really liked, so I will have to look a bit harder. I really like the idea of Uitunes. I think that is a handy thing to have, because sometimes you forget some of the things the professor said so you want to go back but you can't. Although I'm not in school anymore so this won't help me. But I also think it would be a better way to keep up on the news that you want to, instead of having to sit throught the entire 10pm news just to hear a little clip at the end. Anyways, I guess that's enough rambling for me and I'm definitely going to check out some more podcasts in the future. Peace

Photsharing, etc.

So, I went on Flickr, and that is a really cool site. They have all sorts of photos of really cool things, instead of just pictures of the kids. So, that is more interesting, I found pictures of Finland because that is the one country that I really love. It is such a beautiful place and is like MN. Anyways, I think I might have to sign up at this site, but not right now, because I have a membership at way too many places and I don't know anybody who uses that site. I really like it because you can keep up with cousin's and other relatives lives without using the mail or calling them, but then it is bad when you do get together with them, since you think that you know pretty much everything they've been doing, but they don't know that you've been "stalking" them, so you don' t end up talking about anything. Haha, very awkward situations. (I've never actually done it, but I have seen it happen.) Here is a link to a cool picture of Finland's Northern Lights, it was taken on the night that they were celebrating their 90th year of Independance from Russia and Sweden.http://flickr.com/photos/poppis/2090979471/ I hope that works. Ok, enough rambling. I'm outahere.

RSS News Feed

I've always seen that symbol, but I never really paid that much attention to it at all. I thought it was just for news, and I'm not really interested in news. Now that i know that it is for all sorts of things, it is really cool. I logged onto bloglines and did the food, I really want to keep up on baking ideas and such. I think it will be fun to subscribe to more things that I'm interested in. I could use it to keep up on Finnish news, baking and whatever else I might be interested in on that day.

First Post!!!!!

Hey, I'm new to this course! I know I started a bit late but that's ok. I really want to learn how to do everything and make the most of it. I know how to do a lot of things, but I don't know everything. Most of the things I do know how to do are the basics and not the full potential of the programs or whatever. I hope this will be usefull and I can bring it with me into my everyday life.