Assignment1

I started out thinking about fun shapes I could make out of cookies
20131028_113322.jpg
The creativity part was originally going to be in the shape of the cookie, as opposed to the ingredients. But then I thought, why can't I do both?

I began brainstorming what kind of ingredients would potentially taste good together
Thumbnail image for 20131028_113330.jpg

20131028_113336.jpg
I was thinking of unique ways to mix the ingredients together, and how to pair them. I thought of the way truffles are made, with the flavor combinations inside. They served as inspiration for my truffle cookie experiment!

I created a full pan of sugar cookie cups, and experimented with many different filling combinations.

20131028_113344.jpg
20131028_104047.jpg
20131028_104059.jpg
20131028_103559.jpg
20131028_105759.jpg

After trying out 12 different combinations, I along with my 5 roommates tested them out to discover our favorites!

THE WINNER(S) Sugar cookie filled with Nutella and popcorn, sugar cookie filled with Nutella, pumkin spice hersheys kisses, and pecans

Final recipes, each will make 12 cookies

POPCORN-NUTELLA TRUFFLES
24-hole mini muffin tin
1 mini bag of popped popcorn
1 jar of nutella
basic sugar cookie dough (rolled into 24 1-inch balls)

PUMPKIN-NUTELLA-PECAN TRUFFLES
24-hole mini muffin tin
12 Hershey's pumpkin kisses
1 jar of nutella
chopped pecans

For both recipes, create the sugar cookie dough first. Then, put the 1-inch balls into each hole in the muffin tin. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven. While still hot, use a rounded utensil to press down into each cookie, making bowl shapes. Fill 12 of the cookie bowls with either of the sets of ingredients above, then cap them with the remaining 12 cookie bowls. Let cool, then enjoy!

This is a really good idea and the cookies look delicious, I am excited to try them. I enjoy reading how you tried different ideas and tested them. I think you use of the mini cupcake pan is perfect when using so many ingredients to fill them. The mixture of textures and flavors you have layered go well together and I am definitely looking forward to tasting the finished product! Great job!

These tasted fantastic! I immediately appreciated the accessibility of your ingredients. I could bake the popcorn/Nutella cookies without making a trip to the store. At the beginning of your process, I think you would have imagined a greater variety of ideas if you had considered different aspects of the cookie to change. You quickly focused on the aspect of "shape" and began your brainstorming there. You might have also considered other foods that you like, and what they could bring to the cookie, or settings where cookies might be served. I liked that once you had pondered different shapes, you chose your favorite and used it as a platform to experiment with numerous combinations of ingredients. This continuous refinement and expansion of your concept allowed you to reach a tasty final product!
-Josh

These tasted delicious! I immediately appreciated the accessibility of your ingredients. I could bake the Nutella/popcorn cookies without making a trip to the store. At the beginning of your process, I think you would have imagined a greater variety of ideas if you had considered other aspects of the cookie rather than just "shape." You might have also considered other foods that you like, and what they could bring to the cookie experience, or possible settings where cookies might be served. Once you had pondered different shapes, I liked that you chose your favorite and used it as a platform for experimentation with numerous combinations of ingredients. This continuous refinement and expansion of your concept allowed you to reach a tasty final product.
-Josh

Sorry! I didn't think the first comment was submitted properly.

I like your flavor maps, I can tell you put a lot of thought into your ingredients and combinations. The tray of cookies in the muffin tin, each with a completely different set of ingredients, was wonderful to see. I appreciate how you went through a full idea generation and refinement process for both the shape of the cookie and its ingredients, something it seems not enough people did (including myself). I wish I had gotten a chance to try these, because they look delicious, and I am very curious how all the effort you put into flavor experimentation paid off. Putting the final decision up to a vote among your roommates was a nice way to make a selection, eliminating any bias you would have had to a particular recipe. The only criticism I have is that your post has a bit too many pictures and not enough text in between them. It is sometimes a bit hard to tell what is going on in places.

Wow I like where you got with the 3-d shapes, I was trying for the longest time to figure out how to do 3-d shapes, and I didn't think of altering the cookie right out of the oven. I liked how you didn't just stick with one cookie flavor and just run with it, you made whole experimental batch and picked the best for your final set, this is very important as feedback loops are critical for refining your design or coming up with better ideas if your initial ones failed. However, I would have liked to see more experimentation with 3d shape. You came out with the truffle concept which I saw done a few times by other people on Tuesday. I think if you would have came up with more 3d shape ideas to implement you could have come up with more unique shapes, but otherwise nice job.