I recruited some acquaintances from other classes: Ben, Mary, Kaya, and Dennis, to help me with this fun assignment! Also participating were Sophie and Andrew from class, so we had a nice large group!
To begin, I facilitated some improv games with my group. We played a couple of the games from HUGE theater company: Red Ball and Kitty Wants A Corner. After those, I taught them the game I came up with. It's called 'Now Gimme A Noun!' All the players stand in a circle. The first person to go shouts out a noun (person place or thing) and the next person, moving clockwise, makes a sound that could be identified with that word. The third person makes an action, and the 4th person says a describing word (adjective) for that noun. In summary the order goes Noun>>Sound>>Action>>Adjective and then starts over with a new noun. It is meant to be played at a very quick pace, and generated hilarious results!
After the super silly vibes started flowing, I facilitated the brainstorming part that address my topic of FIREPLACES.
PROBLEM STATEMENTS (and their resulting 'how might we' statements)
1. Non-wood fireplace users need a way to create a fire within their home that is as realistic as possible, because they would like to take advantage of modern technology while still maintaining the authenticity of real fireplaces.
How might we make gas fireplaces (and other non wood burning fireplaces) more authentic?
2. Wood burning fireplace users need a way to make the fire starting and cleaning routines more efficient because wood burning fireplaces require more maintenance than other types of fireplaces.
How might we make the process of using real wood fireplaces more efficient?
LET THE BRAINSTORMING BEGIN!
For the session, we used one of the methods that was mentioned in class (the 6-3-5 method), since I wanted to explore another type of brainstorming other than the ones we have already gotten to do. Each person started off with a piece of paper, and split it into 3 columns. An idea was written in each column, and after 5 minutes the paper was passed to the left. The next person would either get inspiration from those ideas or come up with 3 new ones. The papers kept being passed until there were about 12 ideas on each page. In total, each statement took twenty minutes to get through. I ended up with about 60 ideas for each statement, so around 120 overall! This left our group with an IPM of 3. Below are photos of the session!
And after sorting and voting, our top ideas are as follows: