Assignment4 (Brainstorming!)

I recruited some acquaintances from other classes: Ben, Mary, Kaya, and Dennis, to help me with this fun assignment! Also participating were Sophie and Andrew from class, so we had a nice large group!

To begin, I facilitated some improv games with my group. We played a couple of the games from HUGE theater company: Red Ball and Kitty Wants A Corner. After those, I taught them the game I came up with. It's called 'Now Gimme A Noun!' All the players stand in a circle. The first person to go shouts out a noun (person place or thing) and the next person, moving clockwise, makes a sound that could be identified with that word. The third person makes an action, and the 4th person says a describing word (adjective) for that noun. In summary the order goes Noun>>Sound>>Action>>Adjective and then starts over with a new noun. It is meant to be played at a very quick pace, and generated hilarious results!

After the super silly vibes started flowing, I facilitated the brainstorming part that address my topic of FIREPLACES.

PROBLEM STATEMENTS (and their resulting 'how might we' statements)
1. Non-wood fireplace users need a way to create a fire within their home that is as realistic as possible, because they would like to take advantage of modern technology while still maintaining the authenticity of real fireplaces.

How might we make gas fireplaces (and other non wood burning fireplaces) more authentic?

2. Wood burning fireplace users need a way to make the fire starting and cleaning routines more efficient because wood burning fireplaces require more maintenance than other types of fireplaces.

How might we make the process of using real wood fireplaces more efficient?

LET THE BRAINSTORMING BEGIN!
For the session, we used one of the methods that was mentioned in class (the 6-3-5 method), since I wanted to explore another type of brainstorming other than the ones we have already gotten to do. Each person started off with a piece of paper, and split it into 3 columns. An idea was written in each column, and after 5 minutes the paper was passed to the left. The next person would either get inspiration from those ideas or come up with 3 new ones. The papers kept being passed until there were about 12 ideas on each page. In total, each statement took twenty minutes to get through. I ended up with about 60 ideas for each statement, so around 120 overall! This left our group with an IPM of 3. Below are photos of the session!

20131117_212845.jpg
20131117_212906.jpg

And after sorting and voting, our top ideas are as follows:

PROBLEM STATEMENT 1
color changing.jpg
crackle noise.jpg
fake smell.jpg
fake smoke.jpg
marshmallow.jpg
(Credit for ideas are in order: Mary, Ben, Mary, Kaya, Ben)

PROBLEM STATEMENT 2
air sprayer.jpg
compost bin.jpg
multi function.jpg
water extinguisher.jpg
storage space.jpg
(Credit for ideas are in order: Mary, Kaya, Mary, Dennis, Mary)

Hannah, your game sounds like a lot of fun. It maintains the fast atmosphere that I think may be key to these icebreaker/improv games.

Questions
The "how might we" questions get to two of the major issues with fireplaces.

In the first question, you might look into what is the quality of authenticity that is missing. Is is the experience? Is it the sound and vision of a wood-burning fireplace?

For the second, I would appreciate a more efficient experience with a wood-burining fireplace. We have one in our townhouse. It is difficult to start when using real wood, creosote builds up in the chimney, ashes can block airflow and cause difficulties with the quality of the fire; there is a long list of hassles.

Ideas Per Minute
The Ideas Per Minute score of 3 is fantastic! Did you need to redraw the ideas for posting on the blog, or did they do the drawings in the 6-5-3 grid?

Voting
I would be interested in finding out which voting methods you used during the sorting process.

Drawings
From the drawings, it sounds like a mix of a few the solutions might work well together. I can imagine making a heat resistant device that would emit sound for the snap and pop of a wood-burning fireplace put into a gas fireplace.

The air sprayer attachment and the multi-function brush vacuum too are interesting. Some fireplaces have glass enclosures for when it is closed. I can imagine it working well there. I use a shop-vac to clean the ashes out of my fireplace, but it is a bit of a hassle bringing it into the house. Those and the water extinguisher solutions would need a resolution for the mess: it would be disastrous to blow or wash the ashes into the living room!

It's good that you played a variety of games to get people in the right mindset. I like the game you came up with, it sounds really fun! It's great that you tried a new way of brainstorming that we haven't done yet. 3 ideas per minute is fantastic, so it must be really effective.

It would be helpful if you wrote text titles for the pictures as well because the handwriting is difficult to read on some of them and I can't tell what the idea is.

Your overall blog is organized and it seems like you did everything the assignment called for.