The New World of Digital Media

It was only for this assignment that I visited Frontline web site to watch Digital Nation -- a documentary exploring the impact of Internet and digital media on life in the 21st century. The way that the documentary was produced was unique. They used great video reports, photos and interactive roundtable discussions. Unlike many documentaries, this one actually showed almost everything it reported about. In other words, it didn't rely on statistics or scholar articles, but the reporters did most of the research and shot sources they wanted to use for the documentary.

I think, the program is a wonderful work of broadcast journalism. The reporters are knowledgeable about what they are reporting about. For instance the producer of the documentary, Douglas Rushkoff, has a deep understanding about digital media -- he has even authored a book about this topic a few years ago. Rushkoff covers the story in an amazing way. He raises tons of questions about the digital life, drawing its pros and cons. In general, he did anything that a broadcast journalist was supposed to do.

The documentary does a great job, I believe, in representing the young generation and their usage of digital media. It was interesting to see reports of college students using multiple media, all the same time. This is true about me and many University students. For instance, like my students, as I work on a paper, I found myself being on Facebook, constantly checking three different e-mails, listening to my iPod, texting friends and family members.

Even though there are many experts in the documentary that raised concerns about today's growing digital media among the young generations, I believe the new technology is vital important and that it will do more good than harm. The world is not the same as it was twenty-five years ago. In the documentary, Steven Maher, a history teacher, said "to walk into a classroom that doesn't have any of that media must be like walking into a desert." I agree with Maher. Today's life would not be interesting without digital media.

High Expectations for Obama's Cairo Speech

The Washington Post story : The lead is great. It answers some of the W's which every lead has to answer. It's an unusual lead where the author decided to structure some sentences as questions. Most of the leads are not structured like this way, but it's still an interesting lead that gives us a clue of what the author intends to tell us in the next graphs of the story.

Politico story: I think, it's an OK. lead, but there are unnecessary words in it. For instance, it's not that important for the reader to know that the president's speech was translated in every major language -- at least not something well-suited in the lead.

The Washington Post: Over all, the story is solid and picks on the relevant parts of the speech. It has powerful quotes, some of them seem to answering the questions asked in the lead. The story is well-structured. The most important points of the speech are covered in the first few graphs.

Politico: I actually don't know a lot about this news organization, but I can tell that it's not a balanced organization. Not only did the author structure the story so poor, but also a few graphs don't tell us anything about the speech. For example, the author wrote: "The president, who left the room to applause from an audience carefully chosen to reflect diverse perspectives, invoked the 'Holy Koran' twice, and the 'Holy Bible' once." I'm not sure if this helps people find the news they seek the speech. But rather, it tells us what kind the reporter or the news organization is: anti-Obama.

I think, the reporter from the Washington Pots did a better job that the Politico's.

Upstart Americans upend Team Canada

Story By MICHAEL RUSSO, Star Tribune
Last update: February 21, 2010 - 10:29 PM

VANCOUVER - This must be what hockey heaven is like.

In what was being billed as the biggest day in international hockey history, Super Sunday included a three-meal course of the last three Olympic finalists.

The appetizer was a Russia win over the Czech Republic, the dessert a late game between Sweden and Finland.

I think this is a great lead. The author uses a sense of humor, at the same time, gives you information. For instance, Russo describes the day by telling us that it was the biggest day in the international hockey history. Then he tells us what teams played and when, all in a funny manner. This is a great lead and works out just well.

The Star Tribune picked up this story from the Associated Press

By HOWARD FENDRICH , Associated Press
Last update: February 21, 2010 - 9:43 PM

WHISTLER, British Columbia - This is the way Bode Miller always wanted it to happen, needed it to happen.

An Olympic gold medal may be the ultimate evidence of skiing success in everyone else's eyes, but most assuredly not in his. If the willful Miller ever was going to earn one and truly embrace the accomplishment, this is how it had to be.

I think, Fendrich's lead is great. It definitely made me read the second graph, then the third, the forth until I hit the final graph of the story. But I also think his lead would not stand without the title of the story and the caption. I first read the title and then the caption. By the time I came to read the lead, I knew what was going on with the story. However, if I wouldn't have read those two, only the lead wouldn't have helped me understand the story, and consequentially I would stop reading.

For example, the lead doesn't cover some of the traditional five W's it was supposed to cover.

Still, in general, I think the lead worked out just fine, but with the help of the title and the caption.

St. Paul mayor makes heroic dash for hospital

The Star Tribune reported on February 13 that Chris Coleman, St. Paul mayor, was the first to help parents and their ill child who was stuck on Ohio Street to their way to the hospital. Coleman was driving to greet some convention visitors Friday evening before he slowed down when he saw the car stopped in the middle of the street to see if they were having a car problem. Immediately, the parent rushed his baby into the car thinking that it was an officer responding to their call. Coleman then drove the family to the United Hospital driving over the speed limit.

The story is interesting because it is not typical for a mayor to respond in an emergence incidents. It has prominence because the St. Paul mayor who is a prominent person is evolved. The story has also immediacy because it was reported right after the incident took place. It has emotions because the mayor helped two parents whose child is sick.

Out of Minneapolis: Retired firetruck lands in Kenya city

The Star Tribune reported yesterday that a 22-year-old, 500-gallon firetruck was shipped to Eldoret, Kenya, from Minneapolis. Authorities from International Leadership Institute said Eldoret does not have equipment at their fire department, they hope the Minneapolis's retired firetruck will fill the gap. The institute is raising money for sending Minneapolis firefighters to Eldoret so that they teach Kenyans new techniques that will help in firefighting.

By reporting about the truck that landed recently in Kenya from Minneapolis, the story has immediacy. It is also important because it has an impact and relevance for the thousands of East Africans living in Minneapolis. The story has, as well, proximity because the truck was owned by Minneapolis for 22 years.

Lawyer seeks another look at Toyota from fatal '06 crash

The Star Tribune reported early today that Koua Fong Lee, who was sentenced eight years in person in connection with a car crash that left three people dead, expects the Toyota recall will get him out of prison. Lee who slammed his 1996 Camry into another said he could not stop the car because of break problems. But witnesses said Lee was over speeding before he slammed into the other car.

The story has a relevancy because most of Minnesotans drive cars and they are interested in knowing the causes of accidents that occurred. Conflict is also a big part of the story. The conflict is in between Lee and Toyota Company. Emotions also involves in the story. 1) there are people died over the accident. 2) Lee claims that he is in prison for a wrong reason saying that it's not his fault to slam into the other. He blames the Toyota Company.

Police arrest suspect in U of M robberies, shooting

The Star Tribune reported on Wednesday that a 21-year-old man was put in custody in connections with a shooting of a University of Minnesota freshman, Timothy Schumacher, and two robberies that occurred around campus last month. On Tuesday night, the suspects was captured in his front yard without resistance, said a police report. After he was turned in to University police, the suspect has been taken to Hennepin Court jail.

Since the suspect was arrested on Tuesday and the story run on Wednesday, it has immediacy. Likewise, it has impact and relevance for the readers of the newspaper because they heard that a student was shot, but never heard anyone was arrest. So, this is a good fellow-up story that many readers anticipated.

Snow tapers off, headaches persist

The Star Tribune reports that snow headaches is about to end, but storms are expected next week.

Recent Comments

• galip002: I think you used a good deal of details from read more
  • bergr027: I agree, as well, that the lead is very effective read more
  • darde007: Hello, So i'll have to agree with you on this, read more
  • Minelli-news blog: I agree that this is a great lead. I feel read more