Analysis: Computer Assisted Research

I chose to examine this article about a misinformation campaign that used the names of a USA Today reporter and editor. The story discusses the activity of these fake accounts, used to convey false information at the expense of the reporter and the editor.

The reporter had to be relatively knowledgeable about the Internet, as he apparently looked up some Internet domain registries. In the article it says, "For example, Internet domain registries show the website TomVandenBrook.com was created Jan. 7 -- just days after Pentagon reporter Tom Vanden Brook first contacted Pentagon contractors involved in the program. Two weeks after his editor Ray Locker's byline appeared on a story, someone created a similar site, RayLocker.com, through the same company." The reporter had to know where to look to find this information. I'm not sure how I would classify the "skills" he needed to complete this story, but he somehow was able to view information in Internet domain registries. Knowing how to look up Internet domain registries is not something I would classify as common knowledge. He used the information available in the Internet domain registries to make connections with other events, adding depth to the story.