Rap songs that aren't degrading

I found a rap song that not only doesn't refer to women as "bitch" but he addresses the fact that other rappers do. In Lupe Fiasco's "Hurt Me Soul," he says

"I used to hate hip-hop... yup, because the women degraded
But Too $hort made me laugh, like a hypocrite I played it
A hypocrite I stated, though I only recited half
Omittin the word "bitch," cursin I wouldn't say it
Me and dog couldn't relate",

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI6iZJOntY8

it came up on shuffle on my way to my next class, good timing Lupe

how perfect! yes, Lupe has a reputation for being a hip hop intellect/feminist. thanks for posting this!

There is unfortunately such a negative generalization on rap music these days. Some of these rappers are actually quite great poets. Not saying Lil' Wayne isn't degrading to women in his songs but in his song "How to Love" he actually puts the woman in a positive light which I thought was an interesting change to his usual style. Below is a sample of lyrics from the song.

See I just want you to know
That you deserve the best
You’re beautiful
You’re beautiful
Yeah
And I want you to know, you’re far from the usual
Far from the usual

Yes, Lupe was amazing.. and still is. I think most male rappers like to degrade women because it's socially acceptable.

I graduated from high school less than six months ago and while I was still there all of these girls were listening to Travis Porter and stuff.

They didnt care how these male rappers portrayed women in there songs. THey just went along with it because the crowd did.

Since no women are really putting up a fight towards this type of treatment in mainstream rap music the males believe its okay. And now I see 10 and 11 year olds callin girls B*tches and H*es because they hear it one the radio and think its okay to do.

If this type of thing is going to be solved in music women are goin to stand up and combat it. The younger generation simply dont have as much guidance from older adults (parents) and respect for themselves any more. Luckily eventhough Im only 18 I was born to a family that was very strict on respecting women and things like that.

great post!