Blog Entry Remy's Lecture

Remy's talk in class today was so interesting! I'm so glad he was able to come and speak to us because I learned so much that I had no clue about before. I really liked how at the beginning of the lecture Remy took some time to demonstrate to the class the difference between all these confusing terms i.e. transgender, transsexual, transvestite. The way he drew out the triangle of gender, sexuality, and biology made me realize how extremely complicated these things all are. Before today I always considered there to be only two sexes, but after Remy explained all of the different scenarios there can be I have a much better understanding. Something else that surprised me that I didn't know before today is how flexible the terms transgender, transsexual, etc can be. I didn't know that it all depends on the person's preference of what they want to be called. One popular transgender media representation we did not discuss in class, but I still think is important, is the movie Transamerica. This film stars actress Felicity Huffman who plays a pre-operative male to female transsexual who has to take care of her rebellious teenager. I have not seen this movie so I'm not sure how great it is at actually representing the trans community, but I think it would be a good film to analyze and critique. I wish we had more time to talk about this subject. I didn't know much about this subject before and would like to learn more about the culture. Something that I took always from Remy's visit is to just be more open-minded about the whole trans culture. When people don't know about something they tend to judge based on preconceived notions. That is exactly what I did and I'm so glad I know better now. The trans culture is so interesting; I hope more people take the time to learn and understand more about it. After all, in the end we're all human.