Blog Prompt- Remy's Lecture

I really enjoyed Remy's talk. I think it's always refreshing for a class to have someone come in and speak on a topic we are learning about. I did want to ask Remy a question that I felt was kind of off topic for what we were discussing not to mention what little time we had. My question is how would a family deal with someone who is currently going through a transition in their life from wanting to be a girl to being a boy? My family is in this situation and I think it is safe to say it's shocking, especially for the older generation. We are a "traditional" family and have never had to deal with anyone being gay let alone want to change their gender. It's not like all of us are against what she is doing, at least I'm not, and won't accept her or as she now wants it, him. It's hard to take it all in when you have never been exposed to this. I over-heard someone say, they refuse to call her a him. For me, I can try to help them understand but older people are stuck in their own ways. If we don't get a grasp on this as a family we will push her away. I hope I'm not offending anyone by my ignorance but it's an honest question.

With that said I liked when Remy brought up the anxiety we feel if we see a man in a skirt. We look at it as if something is wrong with that person but in reality it's our own issue. That person feels comfortable with what they are doing otherwise they wouldn't be doing it. This goes back to what I said earlier. My family is looking at my cousin as if something is wrong with her, "maybe she should be in counseling or this will pass with time" is what they say. But the truth of the matter is, she is happy right now and it's their own anxiety that they are putting on her.

I also found it interesting when we discussed the media's views on gays and transgender people. If we put them on TV and not make a big deal about it people will come to accept that person for who they are. But if the media makes a huge deal out of it, like they do most of the time that's when the public steps in and is extremely opinionated and criticizes what they saw. This can go back to people's anxiety, the media plays a big role in that. They are reinforcing people to think or feel a certain way. Look at Chaz Bono, there was so much controversy when they announced he would be on Dancing with the Stars. He was the first transgender person and the audience members were iffy about it. But once the show started and they didn't focus so much about what he went through the past couple years, people were able to accept him and now he is a fan favorite.

All in all I thought Remy's lecture brought important issues to light. I found it interesting to hear his perspectives on this topic.

You should have asked this question in class. It would have been great to discuss this. We know how the media portrays the image of gay/transgender, however we never know really of the family plays a role. Could there possibly be a statistic that leads to decisions to be gay/transgender? For example, absence of a mother/father figure, friends etc, etc. Or is it completely random?
I also took away from the lecture the idea of seeing a man in a skirt to be the receiver's issue, not the man. I thought Remy made a great point with this example.

Kind of to go off of that point, it was neat that even Remy was able to say that he judges the way that some people look in some situations mainly because there is something that that tells him, and every body else, what is normal and what is not. Normal being what the common expectation is, thats why when we see a man in a skirt we immediately identify that something different is going on. Sometimes that something different to one person is something wrong to another. But that feeling of it being wrong is what needs to go away. But the best part is, is that the man in the skirt is totally fine and the only people with the problem is the receiver.

I think by Chaz Bono being on Dancing with the Stars, he is helping to educate people about being transgender. Perhaps by seeing chaz every week people will start to focus on his dancing skills and not so much on the fact he's transgender. Maybe this will also help people deal with their own anxieties about the issue.

I think this would have been great to discuss with Remy as well. I think that family is a huge factor in people's identity and how they express themselves, especially when your family doesn't accept who you are because it makes it that much more difficult. When you are not accepted, it makes you think you are doing something wrong, like Remy said about the men in skirts. They are just doing what feels right to them so it shouldn't affect anyone else- but other people still let it affect them. This kind of ties into the media aspect and I think that a lot of times the media likes to take something, like Chaz Bono on Dancing with the Stars, and make it a big deal because otherwise they have nothing to talk about. It sort of creates this drama but brings attention to the show, which can kind of go back to political economy, and maybe be a numbers thing and by having a transgender contestant it will appeal to more audiences.

That's so interesting that you can relate to Remy's situation! I don't personally know anybody who has ever gone through that transformation before. Me, and I think a lot of other people in our class are pretty misinformed on this topic, so I think it's really cool that you have a different insight on it. Going off of the Chaz Bono controversy, I think the more that we are exposed to people like Chaz the more our society will start to accept them. Now that the show has started I dont think as many people have a problem with him.