Post DQs for Thursday here!

New deadline for DQs is Mon and Wed at 10 p.m.

Hope the new deadlines help. Thanks everyone for your feedback!

In the Ugly Betty Article, Marc said the reason why Betty got accepted to YETI is because she's a "token ethnic girl". This comment made me wonder, could making a group (like a college or workspace) diverse hurt the opportunities for the majority of a certain race groups?

Ex. A friend of mine is a tall, white girl and she wanted to go into dance but because the University wanted to go diverse, it was far too difficult to get into the dancing program even though she worked very hard to get in it.

In Esposito's article about Ugly Betty she talks about affirmative action and how "whites" have termed it "reverse discrimination". She explains that reverse discrimination usually occurs when a white individual feels unjustly treated because of the color of their skin. How has this victimized stance of whites further marginalize minority groups?

The class discussion today about the Snoop Dogg video I found pretty interesting. It seemed right away just because Snoop was posing as a pimp and had all these women around him we questioned if this made him, or black men in general more appealing. This brought a question about sexuality in the media to mind. Does the media sexualize a pimp or a thug, to please the audience's preference or set the audiences preference? Is the media giving us what we want or telling us what we want by sexualizing certain races and ethnicities?

In the article about Alicia Keys music video for "Unthinkable" the author notes that Drake wrote the song and sang back up vocals. If Drake had of been featured in this video with a white woman how would have the representation changed? Did the Alicia Keys video highlight black hate for interracial relationships because she is a female?

First off I think the Ugly Betty article was not very well written and it almost seemed like it was just a summary of an episode. I do feel that the article brought up some interesting points about race in the working class. The main question I have is, is affirmative action, in general, looked at as a positive thing in our country?

From the recaption of the Ugly Betty episode in Esposito's article it seemed like affirmative action was being portrayed as a bad thing (in the show). I am wondering if there are other representations of affirmative action (or lack thereof) in media, and if so, are they positive or negative?

While i was reading this article, I feel like this was nothing but a 4 page review of the episode. But overall it really made me open my eyes. The show makes you feel like she does not fit in because how she looks and trying to be in the beauty industry. The article makes race the issue instead of looks. What other shows portray an underlying message that has to deal with race?

Jennifer Esposito concluded her article by saying that "based on this reading of Ugly Betty as a text about race,one can surmise that we,as a nation,are not post-racial.On the contrary,race still structures our lives...." I am confused, certainly with distinguishing between what racism is and what white supremacy is.Do they mean the same? If yes,what differences,if any do they have? Can I be a white supremacist and still be racist or racist and not be white supremacist? Any help would be great.

After watching the Alicia Keys video "Unthinkable" and reading the blog post by Thea Lim, I am wondering how the video would have changed if it would have been white men threatening and being aggressive towards a black boyfriend (given the woman singer would have been white)? Or how about if it were showing black women being aggressive and threatening to the white, woman singer? More importantly and probably more interesting, how would the argument change regarding the video?

In the Ugly Betty article, affirmative action is called into question and criticized. The article talks about the argument of a post-racial era and no longer needing things like affirmative action to hold people accountable. Just like the notion of post-feminism, the author rejects this idea that our society is post racial. In the exchange between Marc and Betty, it forces Betty to look inward and recognize that being Mexican may have helped her get this internship. At no point does Marc reflect on his white privilege and all the opportunities and legs up he has gotten as a result. Where do we see these examples of white privilege in society and what allows them to be seen as such. What were the producers trying to say in presenting the situation surrounding the YETI in this manner?

“You’re in. You were right. Your presentation was better than mine. I dropped out and you’re in.” That quote out of “What Does Race Have to Do With Ugly Betty?” said by Betty, got me thinking. In that particular scene, Betty almost closes the door of opportunity for herself because she is “different”; do you see a problem with that? Many people may argue that they are not looked at the same or do not have equal opportunity, but is it because it’s what the majority acts on, or is it because not enough people have tried in the fear of people seeing their own fear (feeling different, looking different, acting different)? Betty stepped down because she did not feel as though she belonged. Because she felt different, she decided to close the door of opportunity instead of proving to others she was capable even if she didn’t look like the stereotypical on-taker. Do you think that part of the matter is that people see themselves as how others see them instead of through their own eyes and that puts a hault to actions they wish they could execute?

The article, "What does race have to do with Ugly Betty?" brings up a lot of good points about how the country is not post-racial just because Obama is the president. One of the main ideas evaluated in this article is affirmative action. However, is meritocracy still an option for colored and underprivileged people today? Or will the majority (whites) always claim that affirmative action is the cause? Under what circumstances would it be okay to say that a colored person got his/her position because they truly were better than the majority? instead of defaulting towards affirmative action.

Would the author of the article about ugly Betty be doing an oppositional reading of the show? I could be wrong but I think Selma Hayek directed Ugly Betty. I wonder is she meant for Ugly Betty to be a show that brings to light racial issues that are controversial in our society or maybe issues that should be talked about but aren't.

when i was reading i was wandering in the collage's attempt to achieve diversity at what point will they begin to tern down people that have higher test scores? i thought about this when it was talking about betty being excepted to yeti.

The ugly betty article made me think and ask myself, what would it be like if we didn't have the affirmative action law but decisions like these were still made. Why must we refer to race when decisions are made that matter most to us? Is it only when something so important to us is compromised or not given to us that we blame the other if they are another race? Of course when you want something so bad and you don't get it, its only natural to blame everyone else but yourself. Should race be a factor of why to blame someone?

In response to the Alicia Keys video blog post, the video shows what interracial relationships were like in past decades, do you think much has changed from the 50's?

Another key point from the video is in the middle of the song, when the black men are beating up Chad Michael Murray's role, the music stops and the Alicia Key's characters brother says "She's MY sister." And Chad Michael Murray's character says "What? Am I not good enough?" This plays on the brothers looking out for the sister, would this be the same if it were the other way around and a black man was dating a white woman? What constitutes being "good enough"? Is the brother implying that if Chad Michael Murrays role were black then he would be good enough for his sister? Why do you think they emphasized this part in the music video?

The issues this articles raises include, why would a company invest its resources, time, and money, to someone less qualified to look good on paper? Another, why would a supervisor end up offering a job to both? You'd be restructuring just to settle because feelings might be hurt. I feel as though I don't necessarily agree with that. If you want the business to excel and be the most successful, you would hire the most qualified candidate right? The decision shouldn't have to weigh so heavily on race, gender, or any other non-traditional person should it? "Postdiscrimination" anybody?