Post Thursday DQs here!

Thanks.

Also, congrats on last week's DQs---all of you submitted one. It is a record!
Don't forget about responding to your peers' blog posts. Statistically, that is the one that has the most missing from y'all

In the article "The Pornography of Everyday Life" Caputi mentions a Cosmopolitan article that shows a woman lying on top of a man in bed and that the theme is that men entertain a fantasy of of a girlfriend play a boss lady in bed, that is a secret and is only enacted every once in a while. How does that fantasy represent secrecy? Cant that same fantasy be related to women the author mentions in the article being submissive to men, or the fantasy of being "trapped up against a wall" with no escape? Caputi gives a lot of examples with very oppositional views of media that sometimes don't make sense.

Also, it would be interesting to take a look at the Dockers ad telling men to take charge and wear the pants. It's hard to believe that ad would be so up front about hegemonic male dominance in society.

In the first article on the blog, Is Porn Really Transforming Our Sex Lives?, Laura writes "Women want intimacy with men, men want fantasy sex with porn stars, and the porn stars presumably just want a paycheck. No one's getting much pleasure." I thought this point was interesting because if nobody is getting much pleasure, why is the porn industry still so successful?

She also argues (in the third paragraph) that failing relationships, female body-image issues, mens flight from intimacy (she names several more behaviors) started way before porn which I agree with, however she closes her argument saying that most of the men Paul interviewed said they would choose porn over their girlfriends. This statement was shocking to me, maybe thats just me, but it seems that porn definitely has an affect on relationships, body image, mens demands for women, and so on even though these issues started before porn.

On the other hand, Lauras blog entry ties into entry #6 by Meghan. they both argue that sexualization has spread across society however we both fear and love it at the same time which I think is a great point. How do we find a balance between the two?

I was very interested and surprised after reading "The Pornography of Everyday Life" by Jane Caputi. I guess I never actually realized or wanted to admit that pornography is seen everywhere and all the time. A lot of the examples that she gave about how pornography is witnessed in everyday life, I have either seen or completely understand what she is referring to. Especially the Cosmopolitan example about the article with a theme of woman sexual dominance in the bedroom and showing an image of a woman lying on top of a man in bed and taking control. I have definitely seen many articles such as this in these types of magazines and never thought twice about the message they were portraying. I am wondering if the authors of these articles understand the controversy they are displaying in the photo and the theme of the article? The fact that this is displaying that this type of "woman domination" or power should only be kept for the bedroom. Are these articles written so that they attract more attention and buyers or are the authors completely unaware of the media portrayal they are supplying when coming up with these topics? This is especially interesting to me because before this had been brought to my attention, I would have never thought that these types of articles and their true meanings could be up for debate.

In "The Pornography of Everyday Life" Jane Caputi argues that media today is sexualized. She uses examples of Calvin Klein commercials, however I do not necessarily buy her argument. I am sure in the 60s and 70s there were sexual ads. There were pornographic theaters in Time Square! Now even though there are a lot of ads that have sexual themes within them in the entertainment district, they have cleaned the neighborhood up a lot in the last few decades. Can we actually say that media today uses to much sex to sell its product or are we just ignoring the fact that this is not at all new to the media? Are we starting to become oblivious to the media’s sexually themed ads and come back to traditional “normal” values?

While reading the article, the only question I have is why is rape a fantasy? Why do men/ women get get off on this? When I see rape scenes on Law and Order, I get disgusted and wonder what the whole reason is behind it being enjoyable. Can anyone please elaborate to me why rape is some people's fantasy? I think is more sexy then rape

I like how Caputi broke down everyday things that everyone sees and explains how they are forms of pornography. It shows how relevant pornography is in our everyday lives. It is almost a little scary how much we are shifting from our conservative society. Is this the intent of the advertisers to arouse people to catch their attention? Is this strategy truly effective to the general public?

In the article "The Pornography of Everyday Life", Jane Caputi points out great advertisements in both television and magazines. While I was reading the article, I kept thinking about how the internet is a major part of most peoples' "everyday life" and it made me wonder- what pornographic ads do you see online everyday that you can relate to Caputi's article? While looking at the ads, what category do they tend to fit in? Before analyzing them, did they come off as pornographic?

It is interesting seeing the role in which hip-hop specifically has played in the “pornification” of media. It is so persistent in media that it has become status quo and many celebrities defect accusations of sexism saying women freely comply with their sexist treatment as fans of their work. This complicates the mind of both women and men, growing up and having these images as norms in understanding their own sexuality. In the blog article, they talk about the implications these images have in addressing the many developing and wildly contrary styles of femininity. Has this “pornification” of media has implications in how women are perceive both by mainstream society and themselves?

I agree with the author of the first blog article. She notes how the author of "Pornification" blames every bad thing on porn, such as "failing relationships, men's flight from intimacy, men judging women by harsh appearance standards, men liking large breasts, female body-image issues, general female insecurity, lack of sexual foreplay, male impotence, men demanding more oral sex, infrequent sex among couples..." Laura argues that these problems have been around for ages and aren't the result of porn. This book and most of the articles we've read seem to be one-sided. They only talk about how porn has changed men, and their female partners are just helpless victims. Some women watch porn, too, but you don't hear any stories about how that is ruining their relationships with men. So is there a double standard when it comes to issues surrounding porn?

It was interesting to read "The Pornography of Everyday Life." I didn't realize how much advertising resembles pornography. Much of the content in the article focuses on our patriarchal and hegemonic society and how women are the ones being displayed in pornographic, often submissive ways, in advertising. From the article, I feel people are advertised this way so men can feel powerful. Since men and women both consume pornography, is there any advertising that is counter-hegemonic and marketed to women in a pornagraphic way making them feel powerful? Also, would this view on advertising require a pornographic gaze? Is there such a thing?

In "The Pornography of Everyday Life" the author compares images in magazines with women's legs in the air while her body is buried in pillows and an image of a woman turned upside down dumped in a garbage can to snuff pornography. Do you think these pop culture images are really emulating sexualized murdered women or are they just images adding to the articles they accompany? If this image is really a translation of snuf why does it continue to be represented in our society what messages does this image send about women, power, and sexuality?

In the article "Pornified and female Chauvinist Pigs", Do you think porn have "any" effect on relationships at all? Or is your argument that porn is not at all having an effect? Because in McElroy, she said that porn can help sexual problems among couples.

Caputi argues that pornography has become so integrated in society that it is appearing all around us. She argues that pornography, above all else, is about power and dehumanization. I agree that advertisements have be capitalizing on selling sex, but honestly, how else can products be sold nowadays? I feel that Caputi offers lots of good arguments but my question is, what alternate types of approaches to advertising should we use to stay competitive in the market?

with McElroy's argument about how porn can help sexual problems for couples i was wandering what porn really is suposed to help? and is that really a positive stance or just an excuse for the continuation of porn?

I did notice a lot more pornification in the media I watched after doing the readings. In Caputi's piece she says that pornography is about power and dehumanization, is she saying the power of the viewer or the power of the women in it? (like enlighten feminism)

While I was reading Caputi's article so many questions started popping into my mind. I thought of celebrities who don't necessarily release their sexual images to the web, but are seen naked? Do those count as "altporn"? I also like what was said about the THE GIRLS NEXT DOOR. I have to disagree with Boyle here and say that I don't think these women are seen as empowerment. They live off an old man, do as he pleases and act like idiots on the show. How is that empowerment? Because they can take off their clothing to earn some money? Great!! Very interesting article which pulled out all the porn that is surrounded by people everyday. Sex sells and that is for sure!

Hmm for some reason my submission was not added, frustrating when technology fails :(
Anyway here it goes again:

Jane Caputi's article addresses many different categories of pornography in the media. One that I was significantly confused by was Violence Porn. The example she gives was from Detail magazine: It shows a large and fully loaded handgun aiming directly at the viewer. The headline reads "Why isn't your wife pregnant yet? Alarming new infertility research says you may be shooting blanks." I, as the viewer, did not view this as violent at all. I understood it as the gun was the metaphor. Maybe this was a poor use of a metaphor because we all know that a loaded gun has the capability of harming or killing life but a "loaded" penis has the capability of creating life. The add suggesting violence though? I am not sure. Additionally, I was confused by the Snuff category. I do not understand these advertisements. What is the context and what is the message that is being encoded?

McElroy mentions in her reading that porn "helps" couples. What exactly does she mean by this? Does it help monogamy by implementing fantasy for individual partners or does it help by watching it together? I ask this because most articles I've read about porn say that it leads to desensitization to your partner or the want to do things that are considered inappropriate?

Hey Christine. Caputi has an odd understanding of "alt porn." From my understanding, alt porn is porn that shows "alternative" forms of sexiness, usually based in subculture "looks"--so goth, punk, rockabilly. Suicide Girls and Burning Angel are two of the big alt porn companies. We should have talked about this more b/c, if you check out those sites, the women look a lot like typical porn stars--they just have tattoos and weird piercings. But people put these sites up on a pedestal thinking that "alt" sexiness can be a form of feminism. Complicated!! Hope this helps!

Hey Amber. As I mentioned on Tuesday, people like Candida Royalle make porn that is used by couples and sex educators. Couples who use this porn enjoy it for many reasons. 1. it spices up their sex life (a BIG reason) 2. it creates an easier space to talk about sex. so if one person wants to try something, it may be easier for her to point it out in a film then ask flat out. and 3. it gets people over general sexual anxiety.
Those are just a few reasons, and I certainly can't speak for couples you use porn to improve their relationships. But it seems pretty common! It may be easier to understand this when remembering that not ALL porn is violent and nasty and horrific. Some of it is quite loving, sensual, and honestly fairly boring. Not the huge spectacle some of the authors make porn out to be.

I agree with you that subtle forms of pornography have indeed become a part of our everyday lives. I also agree that our society is shifting, but it shouldn't be considered scary. In many European cultures and South American cultures American's are still seen as conservative. American advertisers are now starting to mimic other countries more provocative advertisements because they know that people will be more drawn to them; as the old saying goes "sex sells".