Transgender discussion

I found this topic & Remy's lecture very interesting in that it seems to deflate these bubbles we place masculinity, femininity, gender-roles, sexuality, and even sex in. The point and most important thing I have taken out of the lecture is the same which I think Halberstam was trying to make--that the fluidity of gender/sex/sexuality is often invisible and that society reaffirms through most media, the binary perspectives of man or woman, female or male, and heterosexual or homosexual. I think the production of media making transgender-ism visible is very important in progressing society's perspective on gender, sex and sexuality.
While listening today I kept thinking about a class I took a few years back called Sex and Gender in Society and learning about Kinsey's Continuum of Sexuality and Klein's Sexual Orientation Grid. I remember taking that class and wondering why on earth this information was not given earlier in life--for example in high school. Obvious reasons would be that many people may argue it "inappropriate" or something kids that age shouldn't worry about or shouldn't think about. Kinsey & Klein's grids/scales display the variation and complexity of human sexuality and gender--and I think would help many people to A.) understand their own identity better and B.) be less judgmental and misunderstanding of others' identities.
Because media is so present in our lives and shows us (literally) how to act, be, think of ourselves--we can't help but repetitiously be reminded of "correct" gender roles... and (to reiterate Remy's preferred definition of gender) the privileges, punishments, and rewards of identifying a certain way.
The transgender gaze through media not only allows us to understand what it means to BE transgender, but to relate to aspects of what it is to be transgender--like what Remy & Melody were saying about identifying with one of the characters during Brandon & Lana's sex scene-- one can examine their own sexual/gender identity vicariously. Media like this gives us the ability to accept differences that are typically labeled "taboo" and to create normalcy & inclusion in our thought process.
Another transgender media representation I was thinking of was Elly Jackson, the lead vocalist from the British pop band La Roux. She is quoted saying "I don't have a sexuality. I don't feel like I'm female or male. I don't belong to the gay or straight society, if there is such a thing. I feel like I'm capable of falling in love with other people. I'm not saying I'm bisexual, I'm just sexual!"
I think that's really interesting- her explanation that she does not conform to any particular gender/sexuality... she identifies with pieces of both. Again, this shows the fluidity of sexual identity that a person can have. In her music it is not clear either whether she is singing from a typical male or female perspective/gaze. I am not quite sure if anyone in class has heard their music but a couple of La Roux's songs got pretty big; "Bulletproof" and "In for the Kill". They sort of blew up in Europe a couple years ago and I haven't heard much of anything new about them. After they got big, Elly Jackson was interviewed often and questioned about her sexual orientation and identity. I wonder if her answers have anything to do with La Roux's decline in the spotlight... up for debate.