"Killing Us Softly" Blog Responds

I actually seen an older version of "Killing Us Softly" but I couldn't remember it so well where and when, but it was very similar to the older one. I was somewhat sad that the video didn't talk much about men and the queer community when it comes to understanding the effects from advertisement it was basically all about women and how advertisements can hurt us. It made me wonder if the queer community gets affected as bad as straight people or does it not affect them as much since the advertisements usually show straight people when there's some kind of romance going on.
I will admit, because I grew up with advertisements, I feel as though I have to get a paler skin and skinnier. It doesn't help that movies and TV shows also reinforce that certain body type and it's difficult to become confident about my body type. But I do realize more people are complaining about how skinny those models (that are most likely digitally enhanced) that they get disgusted. It also doesn't help when the BMI isn't very useful knowing if a person is healthy. I have friends that just have a fast metabolism and they try to gain weight but they can't. My brother is "overweight" but that's because he does a lot of sports throughout the whole year.
When it video comments about plastic surgery and the "ideal" body image for a girl, I was thinking about how in Korea, it's a common thing to get plastic surgery. Especially for the eyelids to make the eyes look bigger and sometimes the nose so there could be a bridge. Both of those characteristics seem very Caucasian to me and I feel as though Asia's ideal beauty lies in Caucasian characteristics. And sadly enough, in Korea, looks do matter. It gives you a higher chance to get a good steady job. For people who want to become celebrities in Korea, even if you have a talent in singing or acting, if you don't look good, you usually won't get picked by the company. If Korea was so judgmental on appearances, it's no wonder that it has one of the highest rates for cosmetic plastic surgery and plastic surgery is a cultural norm. In my opinion, I would only accept plastic surgery if it's for health concerns such as burn victims.
In Asia, using celebrities (even American celebrities) are commonly used for advertising. If Asian celebrities are commonly known for their plastic surgery, it makes sense that the cultural ideal of beauty is hit extremely hard. Even though it's mostly girls that get cosmetic surgeries, many of the men do it too in Korea.
I am curious why we have such a bad contradiction when it comes to beauty. There's the virgin whore dichotomy that is often used in advertisements. There are adults that wear more of the children styled clothes and vice versa. And there are people who say that beauty isn't everything wear a lot of make-up and dress up very fancy (like Kilbourne).

Thanks for bringing in your media consumption in Korea! Seems like not much is different there!