Something to wrap your legs.. er brain around.

The advertisement(s) I brought in were for SKYY vodka. One was from In Style magazine and the other two were from Cosmopolitan magazine. They are all very typical/obvious in subscription to the idea that sex sells. The first ad from In Style features a bold canary-yellow background, in stark contrast to the life-size blue Skyy vodka bottle... which looks just like what it does in real life. A pair of legs are propped up against the bottle, one leg angled across it. The legs are in skin tight, bright red vinyl.. tights? Leggings? Doesn't really matter, and seamlessly blend in with the bright red vinyl ice-pick stilettos.
The second ad is the same bottle but bigger and angled against a bright red background, with a gigantic woman's hand with bright red claw like nails holding a melting ice cube against the bottle... And the last ad (which was the next page after the ice cube one in the mag) is a bright orange back-ground, same bottle- upright, with a woman's glistening hand holding the neck of the bottle.. but it looks more like it's stroking it, oh and it's dripping wet. Oh and if you don't look closely you might miss the dude's body placed below the bottle. The bottle is placed like it's coming out of his groin... you can only see his stomach and thigh, and the bottom and top of his gym shorts.
The sign in these advertisements is "Skyy is sexy". The signifier is the bottle of vodka and the signified is sexiness.
The colors used are all "hot" colors other than the cobalt blue bottle itself, making it stand out, drawing attention to the ad, creating a very bold visual display. The ads bolster no words except the bottle's label. The legs ad intrigues me most because its suggestive, but not as obviously suggestive as the Skyy bottle= penis ad. The viewer cannot see the legs' bum or any part of the body, it is cut off, leaving us to assume or guess that the body is on its back- bum against the bottle. The bottle is between the legs slightly--again making a phallic reference--but also the secondary meaning would be that imbibing with Skyy will put a sexy girl on her back. The ever so large and powerful bottle is life size in the ad, but the legs are not. The left leg is being held up by the bottle as the right leg slides down the bottle. Between the two feet is the label of the bottle--drawing the eyes towards it. The ad is an example of what Williams explains as illogical juxtaposition, logically a pair of legs would not be propped against or have between them, a bottle of alcohol. The ad thus engages our emotions and senses--we correlate the emotions of desire, happiness, excitement, lust, envy, power subconsciously to the brightness, shininess, newness... the very large bottle, the very tall heels. It suggests a party without even showing one, by the forms and structures within the ad.

I have seen these ads for SKYY vodka many times and have always wondered about them. I agree with you that the sign in these advertisements is "Skyy is sexy". I think the use of only body parts not entire bodes creates an image of sex not an image of love or relationships. I also think that the use of the color red in so many of their advertisements is to further symbolize sex and sexiness.

I have also seen this particular SKYY advertisement before. I agree that it is a very sexual advertisement and looking closer at it along with your analysis makes it appear even more provocative. I loved reading this because I never noticed the man's body placed beneath the bottle. Looking at it, I agree with you that it looks like it is coming out of his groin. I also agree with you that the sign in these advertisements is "SKYY is sexy". The use of the colors, the melting ice cube, and the placement of certain body parts all symbolize sex.