Sports Blog Prompt

Growing up in high school I loved watching and playing sports. I played volleyball, basketball, and softball. Even though our sports teams received a lot of support from the community and other students (including males), it seemed as if they weren't taken as seriously as the male sports. I remember every year we would have powderpuff during homecoming week, where the senior and junior girls would compile a team and compete in a flag football game. I love watching and playing football, playing catch with a football is one of my favorite past times actually. So every year when I had the opportunity to compete in a football game I would be so excited. I was chosen to be the quarterback of my team both years and actually took pride in that position. Our coaches were always 3 boys from the guys football team. When it came time for practice, it was almost like a joke. The girls on my team would fool around and wine when they even got touched by another girl. Also, guys would come to watch our practices and would just laugh and make jokes about how "fragile" we were. Even our coaches would underestimate our strength and abilities by thinking that they needed to take our drills and practices light on us and not take it too seriously. I wanted to be taken seriously as a flag football player for those couple of weeks out of the year and actually learn things from the boy football players but instead practices and the game were made to be sort of a joke.

The opposite was true for the Ironman team, which was a team of senior or junior guys that competed in a volleyball game. Now this game was taken seriously. The practices were just as hard, if not harder than our actual volleyball practices. The coaches, 3 girl volleyball players, did not take it easy on the guys just because they did not actually play this sport. The competition of the actual game was intense and the crowd treated it as if it were an actual conference game.

I don't understand why there are these stereotypes about men and women in sports. Also, they seem to arrive early in life; already in high school we are taught by media and society that men and women are viewed and treated differently in athletic sports. There's proof all over in sports, I always felt like I wasn't being pushed as hard as a guy would in the same situation. I personally think that girls can do just as good as a guy can in the same sport but we are taught differently and there's some sort of self fulfilling prophecy because of stereotypes taught by media and society that keeps girls from reaching their full potential sometimes.

I really enjoyed your blog and can definitely relate. Your analysis of powderpuff football was exactly what it was like in my high school. I had watched football almost my entire life and know very well how to play and what goes on. I remember especially in gym class having to work extra hard to show the boys I could play. It is frustrating to know you have the ability, but are not taken seriously, have to prove yourself or even feel you have to hide your skills simply because you are a girl.

I agree with your argument on powderpuff practices were looked at as a joke. I felt that powderpuff games was just another area where guys (powderpuff coaches) could "own"/ have authority, and compete with other guys as to which team was better. It is true that some girls just aren't meant for sports and that just creates a stigma for all girls in sports.

I definitely agree with and can relate to what your saying in relation to the intensity of guys sports from the viewers standpoint compared to girls sport. People would attend girls basketball games and treat it as a joke, and the cheers would point to such, meanwhile at the guys games they would be taken extremely seriously and it was almost as though the two games were different sports it was ridiculous. The two stereotypes definitely exist and I do not agree with them.

I agree with your argument on powderpuff practices were looked at as a joke. It is true that some girls just aren't meant for sports and that just creates a stigma for all girls in sports.

I don't understand why there are these stereotypes about men and women in sports either!But then again you need certain types of sports athletes to be good players in sports events.

Yes i agree that you need to have good sports athletes to achieve success in sports events in the long run.Trying to catch the good athletes at a young age is a great help.