96.3 NOW Convergence and Fan Culture

Convergence culture and fan culture has really made a big impact on different media texts over the last decade. The idea of having fans control what's on these media texts brings a whole new criteria and resource. As mentioned in Jenkin's article by Kevin Roberts, CEO worldwide of Saatchi & Saatchi, "emotion is an unlimited resource" (Jenkins, 70).

The media text that I make a connection with this new kind of convergence/fan culture is through radio stations; specifically 96.3 NOW radio station. I listen to 963 NOW a lot because I'm always driving to school or somewhere, and also my CD player in my car is broken. 963 NOW always advertises that it plays all the hit music from today and right NOW. Also, using fan culture, the radio station let's its listeners control what's playing next, what they should do for next events, etc. You could go vote online, text or call in to hear what you want to listen to and they'll play it on the radio. As do many other radio stations, they may have people call in to interact with them on their opinions about certain news or stories. 963 NOW also holds many contests where you have to call in and be the Nth caller to win a prize. There's always those people you hear on the radio that win and says something like, "OMG, I never win anything or I never get through the phone lines!" That which appeals to the listeners' emotions and makes them feel like they could win also; anyone can win.

In regards to affective economics, there are other certain brands that make a connection with 963 NOW. Taco Bell has many ties to 963 NOW; they make many donations towards the 963 NOW food drive and donate money for prizes. Other businesses that you probably could not miss while listening to 963 NOW are the unforgettable jingles such as 1-800-411-PAIN or 1-800-ASK-GARY.

963 NOW creates a brand community that let their fans become actively involved with the 963 NOW brand and its' daily DJ's that hosts the main talk shows. As I've mentioned earlier, there is the voting system that lets people vote for their favorite music. There are also "Golden Life" parties hosted by 963 NOW and Michelob Golden Light beer. These "Golden Life" parties are very spontaneous and happens whenever and where ever. There are also different DJ's that host at different bars/clubs on the weekends. I know that Tone E. Fly hosts at Oak City every Friday. He sits at front of the bar and just kinda makes comments and plays music. He also interacts with the crowd and meet loyal listeners. Another big time to interact with 963 now is at the State Fair. So loyal listeners could be a part of this brand community by attending these parties and could also buy 963 NOW clothes at the State Fair.

963 NOW also hosts community events or hosts events at high schools or promotes concerts. If you go to one of these events you could see 963 NOW ads everywhere. They also ride in a cool 963 NOW truck which has the big logo on it. 963 NOW pushes to be more than just a radio station, but a community and culture in the Twin Cities.

-Submitted by Chua Xiong

I didn't think a radio station could be a fanculture.
Although I wonder how the fans of the radio station meet together? Is it by blogs in the internet?

Would 96.3 NOW actually be a hegemonic structure? The fans can vote for what music they want to hear, but only in the context of the stations preferred tastes. The NOW will only play music from artists who represent the labels that financially support the station. I do not listen to the station much anymore, but I know they have a very strict playlist that they follow, in regards to what they play it’s mainly Billboard music. They rarely, if ever, play local hip-hop or popular music, unless of course the artist is in the top 200 of the charts. The audience also does not ever really get to hear music from underground artists like TechN9ne or Atmosphere for example.
The station does allow fan convergence by listeners having the ability to vote. However, I think that there is a structure they have built similar to our in-class example of American Idol.

Yes excellent point Sean. There are severe limits to this "active" participant. We can only participate in ways defined by the media company. Attempts to thwart those limits are quickly batted down (refusing to play rap, for example).