Last Blog

I have been watching the Oprah Winfrey Show my entire life. Literally, I do not have any idea when I started watching her show. The daycare lady I went to as a young child watched her religiously and I would frequently watch it with her, and my love grew from there. My family still tells stories of me as a four year old who would say things like "You are not my biological sister", using things I learned from Oprah even then. I have been an avid watcher my entire life, written reports on her, buying her 25th anniversary collection, and implementing her advise into my life on a regular basis. I have laughed and cried with her and consider her to be an extremely influential person in my life.There were some summers where my sisters and I would plan our entire day around being home in time for Oprah. I am without a doubt a loyal- long term committed consumer. Oprah has a way of connecting to people because of her humble roots and vibrant personality. Her carreer has been incredible in the creation of "inspirational custormers" , who take anything she has to say or endorses and get behind it. She has promoted thousands of products with her "Oprah's Favorite Things" episodes, book club, and very successful magazine. Oprah has created an empire with an enormous and religious fan following that. She has created a brand community, in that anything she endorses is destined to sell millions. Her book club alone has 2million members, along with countless more viewers who are non-members. Time Magazine says the club It's the greatest force in publishing today, with the power to raise authors from the dead (Leo Tolstoy) or crucify them on the national stage (James Frey). Oprah has unparalleled power of persuasion, she has built an empire of followers and can now use their loyalty as a branding technique to push her own projects as well as help other companies sell their products.

This is so true, Oprah is amazing, and has literally transformed talk shows to fit in with today's consumer society. She is the prime example of a compelling talk show host, and is able to relate to a very large audience.

I agree! Oprah has become more than just a television personality but an idol and that has now developed into one of the most successful women of the world. She as expanded into a magazine, school, and now a cable network. She has set the bar for awesome television talk show host and now has others following in her place. Like Ellen who does a lot of similar things to Oprah but keeps it funny.

I agree. Oprah has redefined talk shows today. She has come up with a realistic talk show which allows many people to relate, creating a wide-set audience. Also, she was broad on what topics she chose to cover. At times, I can remember episodes being hilarious and upbeat, while other times, they were more sentimental, heartfelt, and tearful. I agree that Ellen is similar to her in the ways that the show is set up, although, I don't believe that Ellen has as many tearjerking episodes. I also agree with your statement, "Oprah has unparalleled power of persuasion, she has built an empire of followers and can now use their loyalty as a branding technique to push her own projects as well as help other companies sell their products."