She doesn't know what she wants

I just had a student who wrote a paper last night and just wanted a second opinion on it. "Are you having any problems with it that you'd like to talk about?" I asked. "No, I just want a second opinion." So I asked her what the assignment was and what her paper is about and whatnot, and she seemed to have a firm grasp on it, but then I asked her if she thought she fulfilled the assignment and she said she didn't know. So I read half of her paper out loud, told her a few problems that I saw, and told her I think she's on the right track. I mean, I'm pretty sure she's on the right track. But the problem is I'm not always positive that I'm on the right track. So I gave her my opinion. She's not really worried about anything in particular that I could help her with, so I found the few problems I could, but I wasn't really too worried about anything in particular either. And I feel like I'm editing if I'm just reading it and searching for problems rather then helping her work through the problems she's having. The bottom line is I did what she asked me to do, and she was satisfied, but I don't know if there is more that I could have done. I like it more when they have specific problems they want to talk about, and then they can guide the conversation. If they don't have anything to say about their papers, then I'm at a loss to do much besides edit. What do I do? I need some good open ended questions to keep on file in case I run out of things to say.

Posted by hoga0094 at 1:28 PM