« My Reflection of "The Struggle" | Main | Once again I am falling behind........ »

My Trip to the Walker

I have fallen behind a little on personal posts, and am trying my best to catch up. I would like to take this opportunity to recognize some one who has opened my eyes not only to feminist art, but to all art. I went to the Walker to with the intent to look at a little bit of art, write a paper, and be done with it. I walked out of there with so much more.

Remember that cold snowy, slushy Monday a few weeks back? Well, that was the day I did my assignment. The day before it was due, and I trekked down to the Walker to do this project. I rode a city bus for the first time, which was quite the ordeal. Any normal person would have thought to bring a map, but that didn't really occur to me. I finally made it there: tired, cold, and cranky. I looked at the showing dates and learned that most museums were not open Mondays, the Walker included. I was devastated, and just about to turn around, when a man came to the door. He opened it and informed me that the Walker was closed on Mondays, and then invited me into the entryway to warm up a bit before heading back. We started chatting and I soon learned he was Steve Jensen, head of security for the Walker. After a few minuted he told me to hang around for a bit while he went to check something out.
Soon he came back and asked me if I still wanted to see the showing. Thus began my private tour. He led me to the Friedman Gallery where JoAnn Verburg's photography showing was. He turned on the lights and background music and told me to take my time. We went opposite directions when viewing the show, each of us for the first time. When I got to the end he commented on how quick I viewed it. I explained that I merely had to write an opinion paper. I soon learned that life isn't just the assignment, but the experience. If I wanted just a paper out of it, I could get that. But with just a little effort, I could get so much more. What could have taken me 15 minutes soon spanned over and hour and a half.
And there is no doubt in my mind that it was worth it. I really learned to appreciate art for the first time in my life. Also I had a renewed faith in humanity. What started out as a small favor turned into so much more. I could go on for hours about how amazing and meaningful that short experience was. But I won't. I'll save you the reading and have faith. It's a new thing I am trying.