Gas Generator causes deaths of 3 people in Minneapolis
The Star Tribune reported Friday that carbon monoxide fumes from a gas generator killed three people in Minneapolis Thursday.
Harold Barnett, one of the victims, had a gas generator running in his basement, which his friend, James Morgan, warned him not to do.
Morgan said that Barnett had moved the generator in his basement because he didn't want the noise from the garage to bother the neighbors.
Morgan also said that Barnett should have known that it was not safe to run the generator in the basement, but probably didn't think it would matter as long as it were only for a couple of hours.
Barnett's 14-year-old son and his close friend also died.
Morgan found the three victims after breaking down the door once he suspected something was wrong.
CenterPoint Energy spokesperson, Becca Virden, said that running the generator in the basement would have been comparable to running a car in the basement.
No carbon monoxide detectors were initially found in the house.
Morgan said that Barnett was having trouble paying his electric bill recently, therefore was using the generator.
Morgan described Barnett as a good father who always took care of his son.