Research on Social Media Usage from Generation to Generation

As a Public Relations major, I am currently and continuing to become very involved with social media and the best ways to use such media to reach target audiences. I recently spoke with some market researchers at the locally based advertising agency, Risdall.

At Risdall, I was told all about how social media today is being used and what makes it most effective. This is what I learned about our society's current social media state:

Facebook is often used as an avenue for entertainment (sharing photos, videos, etc.)
Twitter is an informational platform (news, tips, updates, etc.)
Pinterest is commonly used as a way to sell products, similarly to online shopping

After learning all about this, I thought that it would be interesting to perform research on how college students differ from their parents' age group (50-60) in how (or if) each group utilizes social media.